none
GPO - computer configuration not applied

Question

• Hello

I know there are many topics about not working compuer configuration but I didnt found the answer.

Im trying to create GPO where user will get specified printer determinated by location of computer but my policy isnt applied.

I have created OU's like below:

-ALL LOCATIONS
    --Location 1
    --Location 2
    --Location 3
    ---Computer 1
    --Location 4

Computer 1 is a member of security group and policy with printer config is applied for that group.

Gpresult as a applied gpo's shows only default two: Default domain policy and local domain policy.

What have I did wrong?

Regards

Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Which node did you set up the group policy: user configuration or computer configuration?
    If you configure computer configuration, then the GPO will only apply to computer accounts, you should link the GPO to computer accounts OU. The user account will ignore the GPO even if they are located in the same OU.
    And please check the following article regarding 10 common problems causing group policy to not apply, you could try to check it one by one:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22457.10-common-problems-causing-group-policy-to-not-apply.aspx
    In addition, regarding to deploy printer based on computer location, for me, I will think 2 methods to have a try:
    1. Organize the user/computer based on the location in to each OU, link the GPO with configuring the related printer to each OU.
    2. Based on the computer IP address in different location, map different printers via group policy.  This could be referred step by step from: http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/01/how-to-use-group-policy-preferences-to-dynamically-map-printers-with-roaming-profiles/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 18, 2016 5:00 AM
  • Thanks for answer Wendy.

Today I tried again with fresh mind and with Your suggestions.

Yes its a computer configuration node, and GPO is linked to computer accounts OU.

I probably found a reason. We are using HP Thin Clients and RDP connections. I tought if the client is added to computers containter it will be possible to link GPO to it. But when I use gpresult  on client I see CN="servername" so client is not recognized in this case.

Please correct me if Im wrong but it wont work in that way, right?

Regards

Friday, November 18, 2016 9:09 AM
  • Hi

So do you want the printer to be deployed to the users in the RDP session not local machine? 

Kind regards

Shane

Friday, November 18, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Hello Shane

Yes I want to deploy printers for users in RDP.

I made configuration where printers are deployed for users assigned to the floor where they normally work. But our personel sometimes have to be "on duty" in different floors so I wanted to go one step further and assign the terminals not the users to the floor, so when they are somewhere else they always will have the nearest printer by default.

Regards

Friday, November 18, 2016 11:51 AM
  • Ok, what OS is running on the workstations? and how many printers are there?
     Also, what are they connecting to is it windows RDS?
    • Edited by Shane W Friday, November 18, 2016 12:29 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 25, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Sorry for a break.

Shane. By default is a some kind of linux distribution prepared and "lighted" by HP. Seassions are in Server 2012. I would like to connect up to 10 TCP/IP printers.

Regards

Monday, November 28, 2016 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding to deploy printers for users in RDP, please have a try the policy:

Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Printer Redirection

And in order to troubleshoot the GPO not replied, please run gpresult /r to see the detail error message.

And please check if MS16-072 is installed on clients and domain controllers which might cause the similar problem, if that is the case, please use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC.MSC) and add the Authenticated Users group with Read Permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO). If you are using security filtering, add the Domain Computers group with read permission. Please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/3163622

Best regards,

Wendy

Thursday, December 01, 2016 1:41 AM