Focus switch on new message notification... ARGH!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Is it just me that this happens to, or anyone else?

Lync and Skype for Business have the most annoying "feature" when a new notification displays and then hides.

I am sat at my machine, typing a rather long email, and I don't want to lose my focus, so when Joe Bloggs pings me an IM and I see the notification popup from the bottom right hand corner of my screen, I know its a Monday morning, and he just wants to ask me "how I am hanging", so I ignore it.  I keep typing away, and because I am a rubbish typer and I focus on my keyboard instead of my screen, I keep typing, punching out, my long email.  Finally I finish, and I look up to the screen to see that half of my email that I just typed, isn't there.  Its not there because Lync/Skype in its infinite wisdom has taken the focus from my email client to somewhere else.

Why, oh why does it do this.  It is soo blooming annoying!!!!  Is there anyway to switch this feature off?  Or is it just a really naff bug that no one has spotted (I am sure this isnt the case, because it is soo blooming obvious!)

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It is by design. The workaround is to open the SFB notification popup manually when it appear. Or you need to focus to the email windows manually.

You can contact Microsoft to feedback it.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Eason Huang Sunday, June 5, 2016 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 6:22 AM

All replies

• I have the opposite issue on my end, folks here want it to pop forward, ha ha.  My best advice is to switch yourself to Do Not Disturb and all new instant messages should be denied but you will get a notification email.  My best guess is that varying degrees of Office 20XX and Lync or Skype clients have dissimilar effect.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

It is by design. The workaround is to open the SFB notification popup manually when it appear. Or you need to focus to the email windows manually.

You can contact Microsoft to feedback it.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Eason Huang Sunday, June 5, 2016 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 6:22 AM
  • Wow, bad design in my user experience book, but hey ho.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:29 PM