Remote troubleshooting - testing the Telecom features RRS feed

• Question

• I am remote to the entire enviroment, meaning i do not have a phone and i RDP into the server for configuration

Is there a way i can still test dial out? maybe a hack for xlite or similar softphones?

The normalization test does not help with the testing that i need

any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:27 PM

Answers

• You can use PowerShell to run the command:

> $cred1 = Get-Credential “ExampleDomain\User01″
    > Test-CsPstnOutboundCall -TargetFqdn Pool01.example.com -TargetPstnPhoneNumber “+16135551234″ –UserSipAddress “sip:User01@example.com” -UserCredential $cred1

Reference: http://blog.insideocs.com/2010/11/22/5-tips-for-configuring-a-voice-gateway-with-lync-2010/

Hope this helps.

James Ooi MCITP Lync Server 2010 | Blog: http://jamesosw.wordpress.com Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    • Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Friday, February 3, 2012 4:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to initiate a call to test the dial out, a lync client is needed. The cmdlets Test-CsPstnOutboundCall(mentioned by James) just test a number can be dailed out. It does not initiate a call.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:42 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 5:45 AM

All replies

• You can use PowerShell to run the command:

> $cred1 = Get-Credential “ExampleDomain\User01″
    > Test-CsPstnOutboundCall -TargetFqdn Pool01.example.com -TargetPstnPhoneNumber “+16135551234″ –UserSipAddress “sip:User01@example.com” -UserCredential $cred1

Reference: http://blog.insideocs.com/2010/11/22/5-tips-for-configuring-a-voice-gateway-with-lync-2010/

Hope this helps.

James Ooi MCITP Lync Server 2010 | Blog: http://jamesosw.wordpress.com Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    • Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Friday, February 3, 2012 4:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:07 PM
  • sorry doesn't work
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

Could you elaborate further? Did you hit into an error or it is something else?

Thanks

Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:18 PM
  • well i put in the command line, there is no error it just throws me back to the command line and i never get a call

i think its the user i was using, let me retest

Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

Basically you would only receive an output stating whether the call went successful. If you need to make a test voice call, you'll need to install the Lync Communicator and make a call.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to initiate a call to test the dial out, a lync client is needed. The cmdlets Test-CsPstnOutboundCall(mentioned by James) just test a number can be dailed out. It does not initiate a call.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:42 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 5:45 AM
  • so there is no way to remotly dial out if we are connected to RDP?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, RDP do not support audio for Lync client.

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:04 AM
  • Thats my point

My question is, if im using RDP, how can i make a test call without an audio device.

I just want to test the lines, every other pbx and call center dialing solution ive ever worked with has a method for me to do this.

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

Lync client can not make a call without audio device. But the Lync phone edition device wiht a USB connecting the RDP PC can make a call. But you can have a test to make a call from PSTN phone to the lync client.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Thanks again @Sean Xiao

I guess im not being clear on what im trying to acomplish.

In other PBX/CallCenter solutions, i can simply grab a trunk (even sip) and dial a number from the server. (say my cell phone)

my cell phone then rings, but of course i cannot hear anything thats not my goal. My goal is to be able to remotly ensure outbound Telco is working.

Is this possible with Lync Server 2010?

If no, does anyone know if this is possible with Audicodes M1K?

Keep in mind no is a acceptable answer, it either can or can't. I just want to know how if it can.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:32 PM
  • You can test dialling and making calls via RDP. I am doing it right now for a remote deployment and that is how we used Lync on the Ignite courses. Audio quality is rubbish even over 1gbit RDP but it works for testing call routing/codec negotiation.

I RDP directly into a terminal server at the remote site which allows remote audio redirection for BOTH playback/recording and has the Lync client installed. Then make sure you have all the local audio redirection configured in your RDP client, for playback AND record, and it works. The Audio device for both playback and recording on the terminal server is "Remote Audio" Perhaps the terminal server needs desktop experience installed for it to work as well? I have never had to install anything extra/enable roles personally.

• Proposed as answer by nick.coakley Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:34 AM