E-mail template for software requests using SCCM and SCSM 2012. RRS feed

• Question

• For starters, I am very new to SCSM 2012. I'm doing my best to research every avenue before I post something here and I’ve run into a roadblock that I can’t seem to find information on. So I'm working on software approval requests and have gotten it down to the point where it sends an email to the user’s manager (using AAW and the line manager approval template.) However when the email is sent, the email template I created doesn’t pull in any of the substitution strings that I’ve put in the email template. As a test, I’ve added every available property and when it generates, it’s blank for all but two lines; “RA153” and “False”. The targeted class in the template is Review Activity and I can’t seem to figure out how to get those other fields pulled in. Is there somewhere that I can go in and populate that data? Really all I'm looking for it to pull in is the requesting user’s name, their manager’s name, and the software name they are requesting.

I’d really appreciate any guidance anyone could give. Thanks in advance.

Scott 

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:44 PM

Answers

• Hi, the name is Fletcher :) 

Surname is Kelly.

Anyways,

If you are getting "$Context/Property[Type='WorkItem!System.WorkItem']/Id$" instead of IRxxx or whatever you abbreviation is setup as. Then the reference point is incorrect, the system is basically not understanding the template design. Can you please go and modify the template design and specifically use the "insert" and then navigate to the correct property to be used, Like "ID" and :Priority" under Work Item as examples. 

Your data warehouse jobs will not affect your template design / e-mail notification templates. However, it is good to fix that issue anyway.

Regards,

F.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:43 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue on a new incident template.  Did you ever get a response about this or figure out the issue?

Sheila Stranyak

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:18 PM
  • THis is what I'm getting:

Incident placed in queue:

Incident ID:$Context/Property[Type='WorkItem!System.WorkItem']/Id$

Priority:$Context/Property[Type='WorkItem!System.WorkItem.TroubleTicket']/Priority$

Affected User:$Context/Path[Relationship='WorkItem!System.WorkItemAffectedUser' SeedRole='Source' TypeConstraint='System!System.Domain.User']/Property[Type='System!System.Domain.User']/UserName$

Category:$Context/Property[Type='CoreIncident!System.WorkItem.Incident']/Classification$

This is an automated e-mail generated by System Center Service Manager.

Sheila Stranyak

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:31 PM
  • @Scott_Harris, are you using a combined class or maybe an advanced class, you might be using the basic class which can be a little limiting.

@SheliaA2, did you do a copy and paste? Thiswill not always work, rather use the "Insert" function to ensure your are referencing the correct proprties for your installation.

Regards,

F. 

Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Good morning Kelly and thank you for the response.  To answer your question, no.  I did not do a copy and paste.   Basically, the template is a duplicate of the canned Assigned to User Notification with a few lines stripped out. What you see above is the resulting email that was sent. 

One other thing is that late in the day yesterday, I found that the datawarehouse jobs havent been running correctly which I'm assuming caused my reports not to produce any data.  SO im working on that issue right now.  I have a feeling that if these jobs dont run correctly and my reports cant even pull the right data, then I need to fix the jobs first.  Could this also cause the problem above?

Thanks!  Sheila

Sheila Stranyak

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Hi, the name is Fletcher :) 

Surname is Kelly.

Anyways,

If you are getting "$Context/Property[Type='WorkItem!System.WorkItem']/Id$" instead of IRxxx or whatever you abbreviation is setup as. Then the reference point is incorrect, the system is basically not understanding the template design. Can you please go and modify the template design and specifically use the "insert" and then navigate to the correct property to be used, Like "ID" and :Priority" under Work Item as examples. 

Your data warehouse jobs will not affect your template design / e-mail notification templates. However, it is good to fix that issue anyway.

Regards,

F.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:43 PM
  • I'm so sorry about that Fletcher! ;)

I will try and do what your are suggesting.  I'm new to this so it may take me a little bit. ;)  Just so you know, I'm basically following this document starting on page 15. http://blogs.technet.com/b/antoni/archive/2012/08/13/service-manager-101-part-1-incident-management.aspx

I will let you know what happens.  We did change our "prefix" or abbreviation to "Incident" instead of IR.

Sheila

Sheila Stranyak

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Awesome Fletcher!

This is all making sense now.  It works and here's what the template is formatted like:

Incident ID:$Context/Property[Type='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItem']/Id$
    Priority:$Context/Property[Type='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItem.TroubleTicket']/Priority$
    Affected User: $Context/Path[Relationship='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItemAffectedUser' TypeConstraint='CustomSystem_Library!System.User']$?$DisplayName$?
    TypeConstraint='System!System.Domain.User']/Property[Type='System!System.Domain.User']/UserName$
    Category: $Context/Property[Type='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Incident_Library!System.WorkItem.Incident']/Classification$

Here's what the email looks like:

Incident ID:Incident105

Priority:9

Affected User: Fulton, Paul

Category: Printing Problems

I GOT IT!!!! 

Thank you so much.

Sheila

Sheila Stranyak

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Looking good :)

Nicely done, you also investigate using HTML if you want. If you want to get fancy, the end result is REALLY nice though.

http://books.google.co.za/books?id=VFqY6ucA2KoC&pg=PT126&lpg=PT126&dq=html+formatting+service+manager+2012&source=bl&ots=XeDaQnfnp1&sig=OtuQQvFxbMhSKR0LD9LnZlcpxAg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uMHuUNC7NIua0QWMiYCIDA&redir_esc=y

F.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:27 PM