How to upgrade a farm? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a small MOSS farm that consists of 3 servers (WFE, Index, SQL).  It has been running great for the last 3 years, but I have never been able to get workflows working properly.  I have called Microsoft Support team many times and all have come back with not being able to help me figure out what is going on.  So I have come to the conclusion that either my installation was wrong and the use of system account has corrupted something.  

Now I am not asking on how to fix this.  I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my plan (listed out below).

1.  Going to create a larger farm with 7 servers (2 WFE, 2 Index, 1 Query, 2 SQL-clustered).
    2.  Going to create new user accounts and setup the entire MOSS Farm off of Microsoft's White Paper on MOSS Configuration
    3.  Install all of my 3rd party apps/webparts/etc.
    4.  Create scripts to copy over the contents from my old farm to my new farm. (Don't know how security will be affected by this)
    5.  Fix all security errors, etc.
    6.  Set up DPM on another server and schedule SQL backups

If anyone has any other ideas please share.  It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    sroye_98 

Best Regards,
    • Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 22, 2011 6:32 PM q
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 22, 2011 6:34 PM Not asking to fix it so the fact that it is now corrupted isn't part of the Problem description. Title tiedied up - too long and jerly
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:37 PM

Answers

• Thank you for all the replies.  I have followed through all the links that everyone has suggested and read through all of the comments.  I have come to the conclusion that I initially designed my farm wrong and my content isn't layed out properly.  I only have 1 site collection and the rest of the my sites resides off of that.  I can't split my DB until I re-define the heirarchy of my farm. 

So I think the best way for me to do this is to re-develop my dev, qa/test/staging, production environments.  Start with dev and perfect the site structure, figure out the content types, and split the content DBs.  I would need to create scripts for this to replicate it through the next 2 environments.

I don't think I will have my DEV and QA farms as big as my production farm.  Hopefully that won't affect what I am trying to do.  Also I will take everyone's advice and migrate up to 64-bit architecture. 

Best Regards,
    sroye_98

Best Regards, sroye_98
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:59 PM New question removed. Start a new thread with it.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:59 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Sroye,

If MS suspected your Admin database was corrupted - I guess you aren't migrating that, right? If that's the case your migration would be relatively easy (apart from the fact that you'll have to re-configure your farm) - through SQL server management studio you'll backup all your content databases and then restore them to your new SQL server. Of couse you'll do this after your Step 3. You'll then create your web applications in the new farm (as you have in old farm) and connect to respective databases you restored in the previous step.

Not sure what you meant by 'fix all security errors, etc' - other than than it seems good to me.

Just one thought have you considered upgrading to SP 2010 - probably this is a best chance. If that is not in your consideration - try to make the new farm 64 bit (if already not) - you'll get much better performance.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    Friday, July 22, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Thanks BlueSky2010,

I like you idea of going to SharePoint 2010 but not allowed to upgrade just yet.  That is next year.  I like you idea of upgrading to 64-bit environment.  I will do that.  I was also thinking of carving out our content databases into multiple content databases.  The only thing I don't know about is how do you maintain a "configuration database" that stores all of the custom site content types and site columns.  Anyone have any experience in splitting up the content databases?

Again, I appreciate all the responses and the advice.
    sroye_98

Best Regards, sroye_98
    Friday, July 22, 2011 6:27 PM
  • There is a very good Technet article you can follow to split your content databases.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    Friday, July 22, 2011 6:32 PM
  • It is good to run SP in 64 bit environment. However, looking at your plan to configure 2 index server, I don't think is supported  by sharepoint. I suggest you to have 2 WFE (load balanced), 1 index server (make sure that you have a powerful server as indexing operation requires a lot of CPU and memory, also make sure that the drive on which indexed content will be kept have enough space) and 2 query server (this would allow you to have search queries served even if one is taken out of rotation).

Also try to install SP2 + latest CU which will make your farm more stable.

Regarding moving of content DB's from your old farm, make sure that you run stsadm -o preparetomove command on your old farm and then take SQL full backups. Once you restore these backups to your new farm, automatically the old DB schema's will be updated as per your new farm version.

After SP2 a new command was introduced to migrate site colletion content from one content DB to another. The command is stsadm -o mergecontentDBs. Refer to this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262923(office.12).aspx 

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hi ,

Would you please let us know where you are about your doubt?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day!

Seven Ma

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com      

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Thank you for all the replies.  I have followed through all the links that everyone has suggested and read through all of the comments.  I have come to the conclusion that I initially designed my farm wrong and my content isn't layed out properly.  I only have 1 site collection and the rest of the my sites resides off of that.  I can't split my DB until I re-define the heirarchy of my farm. 

So I think the best way for me to do this is to re-develop my dev, qa/test/staging, production environments.  Start with dev and perfect the site structure, figure out the content types, and split the content DBs.  I would need to create scripts for this to replicate it through the next 2 environments.

I don't think I will have my DEV and QA farms as big as my production farm.  Hopefully that won't affect what I am trying to do.  Also I will take everyone's advice and migrate up to 64-bit architecture. 

Best Regards,
    sroye_98

Best Regards, sroye_98
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:59 PM New question removed. Start a new thread with it.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:59 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:39 PM