none
How to restore or convert an mbr system image to gpt format

Question

• Ok so I posted this question on the regular Microsoft support forum and they told me to come here, so not sure this is in the right spot thanks.  Alright then so I created a Windows 10 System Image on my mbr setup and then I reinstalled windows 10 after I installed Gentoo Linux with a GPT partitioned disk. So my question is how can I restore my mbr System Image to my new gpt version of windows 10.  Also I do have a full separate backup of the windows registry from my old setup if that helps.  Thanks just ask if you need to know anymore more. 

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:44 PM

All replies

• Friday, April 28, 2017 12:39 AM
  • Yes but how do I convert a Windows 10 backup image from mbr to gpt

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:07 AM
  • There is a third party tool referred in the article....

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:57 AM
  • yeah I saw them, I was unsure which one you were talking about, is it the Aomei partition assistant or the gptgen program I have heard of both of them before.  Also sorry if I seem a little impatient at the moment, my meds just wore off for today.  Thanks again
    Friday, April 28, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Hi ,

There is no way to convert a Windows 10 backup image from mbr to gpt, we cannot do this. System image backup will not work if you have changed partition structures.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:35 AM
  • well is there a way I can create in virtual box then?

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Create what in VirtualBox? Do you mean can you load your backup version of Windows 10 into a virtual machine?

If that is your question, the answer is no. A backup is designed to be restored to the same machine as the one which was backed up. A vm is an entirely different machine. It will not have the same hardware config as the physical machine. Even if you could restore the backup (and that would depend on whether you backed up all partitions, not just the Windows partition) it probably would not boot because it would have the wrong device drivers.

Bill

Sunday, April 30, 2017 5:20 AM