SharePoint Search - Finding Documents with Multiple Enterprise Keywords / Keyword Specific Searches RRS feed

• Question

• My organization utilizes SharePoint Online with Office 365.  I've been attempting to use Enterprise Keywords to allow for an open taxonomy, but I've encountered two issues where the functionality appears limited:

1) In a Document Store, when I associate a single Enterprise Keyword with a document, that keyword is successfully crawled and can be used in Search to find the document.  However, when I associated multiple Enterprise Keywords with a single document, neither keyword allows for the document to be found via a Search.  I tested this using made-up words.  For the single keyword test, I used the word Blarg.  For the multiple keyword test, I used separate keywords Blerg and Creeen.  All three keywords appear in the System Keywords Term Store, so it's clear that SharePoint is managing the Enterprise Keywords column to some degree.  However, when I search on either Blerg or Creeen, the document with these two dummy Enterprise Keywords attached to it does not appear in the search results.

2) Various forum answers indicate that doing an Enterprise Keywords specific search can be accomplished via using the prefix "Keywords:" in the search string.  However, I've been unable to have any luck with this mechanism.  When I search on the word Blarg, I find my document.  When I search on "Keywords:Blarg", there are no search results.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hi MP,

For the first question, after you made change, you need to wait for the crawl, otherwise, the change will not be searched. So, please wait for the crawl.

For the second issue, you need to change the Keywords managed property to 'Include values from a single crawled property based on the order specified', however, as you know, we are unable to change the existing managed properties except Refinablexxxx. So, for this issue, as a workaround, I suggest you create a new managed property and map it to ows_Keywords and set it to 'Include values from a single crawled property based on the order specified'.

A similar thread for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d2de123d-9894-4598-9b94-60f42bb3b663/forum-faq-managed-property-filter-doesnt-work-in-sharepoint-2010-search?forum=sharepointsearchprevious

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Wali666 Friday, December 29, 2017 9:01 AM
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 7:16 AM
  • Thanks for the response Wendy.  Unfortunately, I don't believe that addresses my situation.  Again, this is for SharePoint Online via Office 365, not SharePoint 2010/2013.  Here's what I want:

1) A column in a Library that allows for an open Taxonomy (also apparently known as a Folksonomy).

2) The ability to have the column populated by multiple distinct Tags/Keywords.

3) The ability to have the columns contents be able to be used to generate Search results.

It seems like pretty basic functionality.  The ability to add multiple tags to a document and have those tags be part of the search index.  Then allow users to either enter in a basic search that will include looking at those tags or a specific search just within that set of tags.

It also seems like Enterprise Keywords kinda/sorta does this.  It is a Folksonomy that allows for multiple tags to be associated with a document.  It simply isn't fully searchable.  It's only searchable with the OOTB configuration when a user only has one keyword/tag in the Enterprise Keywords column.  And OOTB, one cannot use Keywords: to have the Search only hit the set of values in the Enterprise Keywords column.

Here's what I've surmised.  Enabling "Enterprise Keywords" in a Library will associate the Managed Property "Keywords" with the "Enterprise Keywords" column in the Library.  OOTB, the "Keywords" property is Queryable but not Searchable.  It also does not have "Allow Multiple Values" checked.  It is linked to the Crawled Property ows_Keywords.  The ows_Keywords Crawled Property has "Include in full-text index" checked OOTB.

1) Even though "Allow Multiple Values" is NOT checked, SharePoint allows me to add multiple values to the Enterprise Keywords column in the library.  ???  Why?

2) Even though Queryable is checked, I have yet to be able to enter search criteria such as Keywords:Blarg and have it return results.  ??? Why?

3) Even though Searchable is NOT checked, I can enter search criteria with just the keyword value (for example: Blarg) and have the document from the library appear in my search results.  ??? Why?  Is this the result of having "Include in full-text index" checked on the Crawled Property?

4) I am still unable to get any search results when my search criteria is for a Keyword on a document with multiple Keywords in the Enterprise Keyword column.  ???

In my reading on what "refinable" Managed Properties are, they appear to only be relevant to refine search results.  i.e. they are only useful once someone has executed a search.  That's not what I want at all.  I want the search to use the data in the Enterprise Keywords column.

It sure seems that what I want is an incredibly basic requirement.  I want the Search index to include the data in the Enterprise Keywords column.  And I want the option to be able to search just on the data in that column.

Friday, December 29, 2017 4:20 PM