none
IE status bar reappear RRS feed

• Question

• When I open a webpage through window.open and status bar is set as no, the webpage comes with no status bar as expected. But when I minimize this webpage and open another web page that is having status bar enabled and again maximize my web page that had status bar disabled, what happen is my webpage now has status bar on it.

Why/how does the status bar reappear on my webpage after I minimize, render other webpage, and maximize my webpage back again?

FYI, This issue happen from IE 8.0.7601.17514 and OS is Win 7 enterprise edition.

Please let me know if anyone overcome this.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 4:24 PM

Answers

• Why/how does the status bar reappear on my webpage after I minimize, render other webpage, and maximize my webpage back again?

It's in the registry, so if you're changing the registry it will have an effect any time it is subsequently referenced.  One way to do what you want would be to use Fullscreen, because that mode has its own separate Status bar setting and (since IE7) there can only ever be one window which is in Fullscreen mode.  (Maybe this is why that change was made in IE7?  If I had been given a good reason like that I might not have been so upset by that change.  As it is it still causes irritating usability problems and is a quirk that I have to be continually aware of.)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 5, 2014 1:23 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

This might be by design. I have tested in IE 8 in Windows 7 enterprise edition. By disable the status bar in a webpage window and enabled in another window, followed the minimize/maximize option and the status bar come back.

Using process monitor I can't found any actions changed when minimize/maximize the webpage window. And in Windows 7 with IE 11, the webpage won't behave like IE 8, IE 11 will save the settings for every webpage regarding the status bar. If possible please take an update and install IE 11, in order to overcome this issue.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:46 AM
  • Thanks.

Is that no way to avoid this issue in IE 8?

IE 11 is the only option to avoid this issue?

And also I can able to reproduce the same issue in IE9 and 10// Any input on this please

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Update it , as IE 11 works that way. This might be related with how IE was designed to deal with different threads created for every webpage.

It seems the changes made in IE 8/9/10 is on the whole IE, and in IE 11 it is only related with the current page.

Rgds

Friday, April 4, 2014 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your support.

I have upgraded it to IE 11, and even in IE 11 I am getting this same issue with the above scenario. Please find the details below,

Browser details:

IE Version         : 11.0.9600.16521

Update Versions: 11.0.4(KB2925418)

OS details:

Windows 7 Enterprise

Server Pack 1

System details:

Processor    : Intel® Core™2CPU 4300 @1.80GHz 1.79 GHz

RAM          : 4.00GB (3.24 GB usable)

System type: 32-bit Operating System

Please review and let me know what cause this status bar to reappear.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, April 4, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Why/how does the status bar reappear on my webpage after I minimize, render other webpage, and maximize my webpage back again?

It's in the registry, so if you're changing the registry it will have an effect any time it is subsequently referenced.  One way to do what you want would be to use Fullscreen, because that mode has its own separate Status bar setting and (since IE7) there can only ever be one window which is in Fullscreen mode.  (Maybe this is why that change was made in IE7?  If I had been given a good reason like that I might not have been so upset by that change.  As it is it still causes irritating usability problems and is a quirk that I have to be continually aware of.)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 5, 2014 1:23 PM
    Answerer