Installing AD DS Role vs. Installing Forest/Domain/Domain Controller RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a little clarification on the following Powershell cmdlets used to promote a server to a domain controller:

Install-ADDSDomainController - Promotes a domain controller within an existing domain.

Install-ADDSForest - Promotes server to domain controller and creates a new forest.

Install-ADDSDomain - Promotes server to domain controller and creates a new domain.

Do any of these cmdlets install the AD DS role on the server for you, or do you need to install the server role before running any of these? I know they check for prerequisites but I'm not sure what prerequisites they check for. From what I've read, it seems like the role needs to be installed before running these cmdlets but I haven't found anything that clearly states that as a requirement. It's also not clear why these cmdlets couldn't be capable of installing the role for you since they give you the option to install the DNS server role.

It would also be helpful to know the preferred way using Powershell to create a domain controller from a clean Windows Server 2012 R2 installation.

Thank you!

Sunday, January 18, 2015 7:27 PM

Answers

All replies