cannon open administrative tools RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have just tried to open my administrative tools/computer management and it will not allow it. it is saying that 'windows cannot open this file' (compmgme.msc) that i need to select a program from a list to open it. i tried to open all other msc files with the same result. does anyone know what this could be caused by?

the recent changes to my machine are that im trialling the AVG internet security suite, and i also ran the glary utilities 'system file checker'. which pretty much just checked that all secure system files were the originals. not really sure if it replaced any, but i did have to insert mu windows disk during the process.

please help as my extenal hard drive has decided it wants to be called F:  now instead of E:, but F: is already taken. and i need to access the data on there!!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:38 AM

Answers

• Moscow.mark,

Download the fix file assocation (*.MSC), and run it. Maybe it will helps.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_mscfix.zip

Regards,

Thomas

Moscow.mark wrote:

hi, thanks for the reply.

i ran that snippet, and it said it was successful. but i still can not open the msc files.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Moscow.mark,

Can you try this? Go to Start --> Run --> type this command into the Run dialog box, and hit enter. Open administrative tools or computer management to test. Post result back again. I hope this helps.

Code Snippet

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regards,

Thomas

Moscow.mark wrote:
    it is saying that 'windows cannot open this file' (compmgme.msc) that i need to select a program from a list to open it.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:53 AM
  •  

i ran that snippet, and it said it was successful. but i still can not open the msc files.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:07 PM
  • Moscow.mark,

Download the fix file assocation (*.MSC), and run it. Maybe it will helps.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_mscfix.zip

Regards,

Thomas

Moscow.mark wrote:

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:21 PM
  • thank you so much, that one worked.

very much appreciated.

mark

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Moscow.mark,

You can change the internal hard disk drive to another drive letter. Just in case you didn't know how to, follow the steps below;

1) Open Computer Management (compmgmt.msc)

2) Expand the Storage field, select Disk Management, find the hard disk that is on drive letter F:

3) Right click on it and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

4) Select "Change", and assign an new drive letter to the internal drive.

5) Plug in the external hard drive, it should be on drive letter F:

Regards,

Thomas

Moscow.mark wrote:
    please help as my extenal hard drive has decided it wants to be called F:  now instead of E:, but F: is already taken. and i need to access the data on there!!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:46 PM