Installation of Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 is blocked on Windows Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Why can't I install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 on a fresh build of Windows Server 2008 R2 (RC) Enterprise? It works fine on the RTM build of Server 2008 x64 on exactly the same Hyper-V capable hardware. The installation halts and and says Virtual Server is incompatible with this OS. Is there an update available to remove this block? How do I install it?  The same thing happens on the latest Windows 7 build (7100). I have an application that requires Virtual Server (MSL LabLauncher - hence I can't use hyper-V).

Dougie?

• Edited by Geoff Black Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:34 AM typo
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:44 AM

Answers

• Hi All

I HAVE THE SOLUTION.

Use local group policy to turn off application compatibility to allow the install. In Local Policy go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility, enable the settings here to "Turn Off Application Compatibilty Engine". When installing Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 on Server 2008 R2 ensure that the Hyper-V Role is NOT installed either, they really don't like each other and strange happenings will ensue. On Windows 7, do a custom install and don't bother installing the web admin components, hence you WILL NOT NEED IIS. To administer your virtual server on Windows 7, (or Server 2008 R2), get yourself a copy of VRMC+ from the Microsoft download site - works a treat.

As far as using the Microsoft Lab Launcher you will have to modify the setup MSI's to remove the OS check or install on a Vista or XP box and copy over. If you want an easy way you can use a script like this:

Set xInst = CreateObject("WindowsInstaller.Installer")
    Set xDB = xInst.OpenDatabase("6416B_VMS1.MSI", 1)
    Set xView = xDB.OpenView("DELETE FROM `LaunchCondition` WHERE `Condition`='(VersionNT = 501 And ServicePackLevel > 1) or (VersionNT = 502) or (VersionNT = 600)'")   
    Call xView.Execute
    Set xView = Nothing
    Call xDB.Commit

Be patient, this is a 2G file and takes a while, you might want to add a little extra to the script to notify when it's done.

I have tested this configuration running on the 64 bit Version of Windows 7 and have successfully run the 6416B and 6417B MOC Courses using the lab launcher and VMRC+ with Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.

Now the next step is to get sysprep to work !!!!

Geoff Black

• Marked as answer by Geoff Black Monday, July 13, 2009 8:42 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:42 PM

All replies

• hi there

please follow the below link and please update us going through the link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/948515

sainath Attending Microsoft Teched 2009
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:24 AM
  • But how can this help? This update says that you can ONLY INSTALL IT IF Virtual Server 2005 SP1 is INSTALLED. If it CANT be INSTALLED on 2008 R2, then how can you install the update????

I'm trying to upgrade my Windows Server 2008 Enterprise machine to R2 and the upgrade is blocked because I have Virtual Server 2005 SP1 installed (with the update mentioned above, BTW). I'm not going to upgrade my machine if I can't run Virtual Server. My hardware isn't Hyper-V capable. What am I supposed to do?

Monday, May 18, 2009 5:12 AM
  • having the same problem.

I am getting a microsoft course that "requires" microsoft virtual Server r2 sp1
    But when installing it is getting blocked.

My windows 7 build is 7100.
    Complete up to date but tried everything to get it to work.
    But no go.

Tried the KB948515 but getting error:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service because the program to be updated may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

But HOW?!?! virtual server can not be installed so how do i patch this? :)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:01 AM
  • hi all,

i suspect hyper-v component to be the culprit , because Hyper-v provides the similar stratergy of hosting the virtual machines, and with which installing another component owhich performs similar function might not be supported on windows 2008 r2 rc 64 bit OS.

also i found the below link in which the host requirement is mentioned

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/cc949734.aspx

===================================================================

The following operating systems are required as hosts to run Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1:

32-bit Operating Systems

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2 or later

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 2 or later

Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition with Service Pack 2 or later

Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition or later

Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition or later

Windows XP Professional (for non-production use only)

Windows Vista Ultimate (non-production use only)

Windows Vista Business (non-production use only)

Windows Vista Enterprise (non-production use only)

64-bit Operating Systems (64-bit support only for Virtual Server 2005 R2)

Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2 or later

Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 2 or later

Windows Server 2003 x64 Datacenter Edition with Service Pack 2 or later

Windows XP Professional x64 (for non-production use only)

Windows Vista Ultimate (non-production use only)

Windows Vista Business (non-production use only)

Windows Vista Enterprise (non-production use only)

=======================================================================

believing the above considerations, microsoft is trying to promote HYPER-V instead of virtual server on windows 2008 server.
    sainath windows driver development.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:24 AM
  • You don't.  You can move the virtual VHDs over to Win7 but the MS Launcher is incompatable with Win 7 at this time.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Hi All

I HAVE THE SOLUTION.

Use local group policy to turn off application compatibility to allow the install. In Local Policy go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility, enable the settings here to "Turn Off Application Compatibilty Engine". When installing Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 on Server 2008 R2 ensure that the Hyper-V Role is NOT installed either, they really don't like each other and strange happenings will ensue. On Windows 7, do a custom install and don't bother installing the web admin components, hence you WILL NOT NEED IIS. To administer your virtual server on Windows 7, (or Server 2008 R2), get yourself a copy of VRMC+ from the Microsoft download site - works a treat.

As far as using the Microsoft Lab Launcher you will have to modify the setup MSI's to remove the OS check or install on a Vista or XP box and copy over. If you want an easy way you can use a script like this:

Set xInst = CreateObject("WindowsInstaller.Installer")
    Set xDB = xInst.OpenDatabase("6416B_VMS1.MSI", 1)
    Set xView = xDB.OpenView("DELETE FROM `LaunchCondition` WHERE `Condition`='(VersionNT = 501 And ServicePackLevel > 1) or (VersionNT = 502) or (VersionNT = 600)'")   
    Call xView.Execute
    Set xView = Nothing
    Call xDB.Commit

Be patient, this is a 2G file and takes a while, you might want to add a little extra to the script to notify when it's done.

I have tested this configuration running on the 64 bit Version of Windows 7 and have successfully run the 6416B and 6417B MOC Courses using the lab launcher and VMRC+ with Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.

Now the next step is to get sysprep to work !!!!

Geoff Black

• Marked as answer by Geoff Black Monday, July 13, 2009 8:42 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:42 PM
  • It works for me with Geoff's solution on Win 7 RTM. For me, I need to restart the machine after enabling "Turn Off Application Compatibilty Engine". I aslo install successfully the web admin site. Thanks.
    Xiaofeng Wang | Be live with Coding | Beijing P.R.C
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Microsoft needs to realize, like a post above mentions, and in my circumstance, Hyper-V is not compatible with some hardware.  It is very difficult to justify the additional expense of new hardware just to satisfy this.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Thanks Geoff,

This worked for the install.  Now, if I can get the updates to install, I'll be set.

Greg Wilkerson
    Monday, September 7, 2009 7:38 PM