none
Project Server 2013 - Cannot change Non Generic to Generic resource RRS feed

• Question

• Due to the Customer budget limitation, some team members will not have access to PWA, but their names will be assigned to tasks as generic resources and not associated to their Windows Account.

We loaded these users in the resource pool at the Project Professional and set to generic resource successfully.

We uploaded the users which will have access to Project Server from AD and curiously part of the generic users appeared as non-generic. Neither Windows account nor e-mail were uploaded to these users and effectively they were not in the AD groups.

When we tried to change these users that have changed into non-generic, the Generic box in Resource Center for these resources was blocked. As they do not have windows account they do not appear in Manage Resources option.

I could only change them to generic resource opening the Resource Pool in Project Professional.

Is this behaviour of the Generic field normal?

Thank you.

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

• Edited by R.Segawa Friday, June 21, 2013 6:15 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 6:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Paolo,

Thank you for your answer.

In the Report Center page the Generic field is unmarked and blocked, so I cannot change the flag. At the Manage Users they do not appear because they do not have Windows account.

The only workaround I found out was to change it in the enterprise pool using Project Professional. 

As you have a similar issue and I made additional tests in another server, I confirm that once you created a resource, it does not matter where,  you cannot change the generic field in PWA.

You can change it in the Enterprise Pool in Project Professional.

I suppose this is by design.

• Marked as answer by R.Segawa Monday, June 24, 2013 1:55 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Ricard

Have you thought about using regular work resources instead of generic resources.  The only setting you need for these non-license PWA user is uncheck the "Logon" property.  This provides you will resources that have profiles.  If later you purchase CALs for these users, you can check the "Logon" property and not changes will be needed for project.

Cheers! 

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Yes, that is true.

There is a question that in this case, even though I did not enter the e-mail address, will the server show error messages in the queue about notification failure erros due the empty e-mail address field?

For the generic resources the server does not send notification e-mails.

What is your experience on this?

Thank you.

• Edited by R.Segawa Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:58 PM Correction
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Hello Richard,

maybe it's not so helpfull, but, have you tried to change resource details from resource center or in System settings->user center?

I get similar issue some time ago, so, i seem to remeber that, if you try to change resource details through Resource Center, you can change resource type.

I hope this can helps you,

Best Regards

Paolo O.

Monday, June 24, 2013 12:43 PM
  • Hi Paolo,

In the Report Center page the Generic field is unmarked and blocked, so I cannot change the flag. At the Manage Users they do not appear because they do not have Windows account.

The only workaround I found out was to change it in the enterprise pool using Project Professional. 

As you have a similar issue and I made additional tests in another server, I confirm that once you created a resource, it does not matter where,  you cannot change the generic field in PWA.

You can change it in the Enterprise Pool in Project Professional.

I suppose this is by design.

• Marked as answer by R.Segawa Monday, June 24, 2013 1:55 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 1:54 PM