none
Linking 1 PPT file to others without being forced back to the cloud

Question

• I have a master PPT file with links to multiple PPT decks. They all get copied to users' HDs in a single directory. The links work fine when all the files are simply copied. But when I put the files into SharePoint in the cloud and they get copied down via a SharePoint sync, the links I created get rewritten and always force the path back into the cloud. The results:

- When people click a link, they to click OK after reading a security warning. 

- The files that are linked are not the copies on their HDs but rather the cloud versions. The links take MUCH longer to work. 

There's gotta be a way to overcome this. Thanks in advance for any tips. 

Orson

Sunday, March 12, 2017 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Orson,

These links in the PPT file are relative paths. So when we click on the links in a PPT file stored in SharePoint site, it will find the linked files in the site instead of the files in client.

If you want to open the linked file that stored in the client, you should use the absolute path.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:15 AM
  • Thanks. So.... I tried using %username% in the path for a link as a test, because the local location is the same except for the username appearing in the path. It did not work. 

Is there a different syntax or other approach I should use to make the links work? 

Please understand -- maybe I didn't make this clear before: The links need to work after the files are copied to a person's HD, not in the cloud. I don't care whether they work in the cloud. That's what puzzled me because SharePoint apparently changed what were very simple links (because all files were in the same location/same folder originally) into cloud URL-referenced links. 

Again, thanks for any additional tips or pointers.

Orson

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:26 AM
  • Hi Orson,

You can use variable “[CurrentUserFolder]” fot the link.

For example:

[CurrentUserFolder]\Documents\ppt1.pptx

It will open C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\ppt1.pptx.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:27 AM
  • I tried substituting [CurrentUserFolder] for my name in the path. First, I got a security warning -- I guess you have to accept that. But then I was told the file could not be opened. I did it twice just in case I screwed something up.

So, unfortunately, it seems like this does not resolve my problem.

Orson

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:14 PM
  • Hi Orson,

To show dynamic hyperlink based on the current user name, an idea is that, using VBA to get the current user name and generate the hyperlink.

A demo about getting current user name using VBA in PowerPoint:

http://www.chimpytech.com/using-vba-to-find-current-user-name/

PowerPoint VBA reference:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee861525.aspx

For more questions about using VBA in PowerPoint, I recommend you open up new threads for questions in Office Develop forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=officedev. More experts will assist you, then you will get more information.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:05 PM