none
Windows Server 2016 CORE RRS feed

• Question

• I had a Windows Server 2012 r2 and was having issues with it so decided to redo the server and install Server 2016 to get the most recent OS going.  During the install I guess I installed Server Core not knowing what I was about to get into.  Now I'm stuck with just the Sever Core cmd or powershell screens and I cannot get the desktop experience or GUI installed.  I've done tons of research and actually have installed some roles/features from powershell, joined to my domain and can RDP into it but I just want the desktop experience so I can move around like normal.  We are a small shop with only a handful of servers so NO need to work in powershell like Microsoft wants everyone to do now thinking everyone has 1000's of servers I guess.  I've tried to boot from my external drive and load 2012 r2 ISO back but the server will not reset or go back to a previous build.  

Basically I am stuck in Server Core hell and just want the simple desktop back so I can move forward.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff.

As per Microsoft documentation (read here), you cannot convert Windows Server 2016 between Server Core and Server with Desktop Experience after installation as it was in previous Windows Server versions: you have to perform a clean installation.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

with Windows server 2016 you are unable to just post-install full GUI and desktop experience to your installation - It is not possible.

This was possible in Windows server 2012 and 2012R2 (switch from core to GUI and backwards)

I would recommend to perform fresh installation of Windows 2016 and select version with Desktop experience during operating system selection. Check here: https://samsclass.info/123/proj10/p1bvm21.png

Radek

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:51 PM
  • thanks guys and I figured as much I couldn't go to the GUI once server core was installed, ughhh.  Now the issue is getting the server to install a new edition of 2016, this is where my struggles are now.  I've tried to boot from a DVD iso and also my USB drive but not luck.  I've gotten to the point where i have advanced options to reset but it bombs after about 5 %, any ideas.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:48 PM
  •  but it bombs after about 5 %, any ideas.

Not sure 5% of what but you can boot the install media and when you get here, delete all partitions found, then continue the install.

You can also confirm here and with manufacturer that hardware has support for Server 2016

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:44 PM
  • thanks guys and I figured as much I couldn't go to the GUI once server core was installed, ughhh.  Now the issue is getting the server to install a new edition of 2016, this is where my struggles are now.  I've tried to boot from a DVD iso and also my USB drive but not luck.  I've gotten to the point where i have advanced options to reset but it bombs after about 5 %, any ideas.

You can simply remove all the existing partitions, create a new one and proceed with the installation as if it was the first time you install Windows Server 2016.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:28 AM
  • Hi Luigi,

Under which version / Display name windows server 2016 GUI version will be available.

as under windows server standard we could only core version available.

Regards

Sahil Verma

Sunday, January 13, 2019 5:23 AM
  • Under which version / Display name windows server 2016 GUI version will be available.

Windows Server 2016 v1607

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, January 13, 2019 2:18 PM