Strange Infotip appears when drag scrolling in Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Explorer has started showing what looks like an InfoTip (it's like the yellow boxful of info displayed when you hover over a file) in the left hand pane, but only when I drag scroll the left-hand pane vertical scroll bar. Simply holding onto the scroll bar won't make this box appear - the scroll bar has to be moved. Once it appears, it remains in the same position on the screen as I drag up and down. When I release the mouse button, the box disappears. If I scroll using the mouse wheel, nothing odd happens.

The text in this InfoTip box relates to the sort order; if I sort by Name, the file name of every file and folder in the left pane will appear, one at a time, as I drag up and down. The file being reported on when the bar is first moved depends on the position of the scroll bar; at the very top, the first file in the left pane is being used, at the very bottom it's the last file. It's as if an invisible cursor, stationed in the column being sorted, was being moved up and down all the folders and files and reporting the contents of whatever it was over.

If I sort by date, then dates appear, in the same format as displayed in the left pane. Sorting by size has a slightly different result - folders cause the word "Unspecified" to appear. File sizes are also shown differently; a file showing 0 KB in the pane causes "0 bytes" to show; 42,248 KB is shown as "42.2 MB".

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit. This behaviour started immediately after I uninstalled a really old game (Fallout Tactics). Windows Explorer was working normally while it was installed. I don't know if the two things are related - I simply can't understand why (or how!) Explorer is doing this. Can anyone help me expunge this weird box?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Alec,

It seems the Info Tip is by design to show when the scroll bar appears. If it shows the correct info, I think it is not the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Alecsigh Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:46 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since the issue occurred recently, I suggest performing a System Restore to check the result.

If the issue persists, please boot into Safe Mode (when starting computer, keep pressing F8) to check if it exists. If so, please collect the screenshot to clarity the issue.

How to capture a screenshot

------------------------------------------

1. When the error message occurs, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. Save the picture onto your desktop and Upload to SkyDrive.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Alas, I've turned off System Restore! If I get this sorted, I'll turn it back on.

Safe Mode also had the same problem. Below is a screenshot of what I'm seeing. Files are being sorted by type. The box appears here besides the scroll bar of the left hand pane, at the top. Whatever is going on is looking at the file "temp.ani", visible on the lower half of the pane, and is repeating the file type - "Animated Cursor". I'm still holding the scroll bar with my mouse at this point. If I pulled the scroll bar up, the box would read "0001 File", followed by a bunch of "File folder"; down would show "Application".

This behaviour affects every folder where a scroll bar is present.

http://iuz5xq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pYb82YMQQ5Q68utwgOCHqRVh-zcgEQa5ag9xkaCiIuYaoR9rlcixxRk5zqpFT8QqYJ4Vvf66XmhVnSu9GdGbTSv170u6B328K/Strange%20InfoTip.jpg?psid=1

Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

Would you please let me know if installed any Animated Cursor for mouse?

I suggest updating graphic card driver and mouse driver from manufacture's site manually. After that, please set Mouse Pointers to default.

(Click Start -> type Mouse in the search box -> choose Mouse -> Pointer tab -> click Use Default button)

Also, change another Theme for testing.

Best Regards,

Niki

Friday, April 22, 2011 10:59 AM
  • I haven't installed an Animated Cursor - the file visible in the screen shot most likely came from a game install.

I updated graphic and mouse driver, reset Mouse Pointer, and changed Themes - no effect.

While looking around the internet, I came across some pages that mentioned customizing InfoTips using a prop: command. prop:size would be the size of a file, for example. None of the arguments I could see would return the name any particular file was being ranked by. Do you know if such a command exists? If so, I could search the registry and perhaps delete that entry?

Of course, this is assuming that this box IS an infotip.

Hopefully, Alec

Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Hi Alec,

The InfoTips is created by Shell. It is not recommended to customize InfoTips since we are not developers. Here is an Official article for Tooltips and Infotips.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511495.aspx#infotipsgl

In temp folder, I notice temp.ani's type is Animated Cursor. Therefore, the InfoTips shows the correct information. If the issue only occurs in this folder, I suggest use cleanmgr to delete some unnecessary files from there.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

After that, please check the result again.

Best Regards,

Niki

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:52 AM
  • I ran Disk Cleanup and cleaned out drive C:. The problem still exists, in every directory which has a scroll bar. As I said, this InfoTip only appears when I grab the left-hand-pane scroll bar.

Now most panes don't have a scroll bar, as they don't hold enough files to scroll off the screen. To experiment I resized Windows Explorer to generate more folders with scroll bars. Every pane with a scroll bar showed this InfoTip; if resizing Explorer removed the scroll bar, the InfoTip no longer appeared.

Do you have any more ideas, or am I looking at a re-install to kill this annoyance?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Hi Alec,

It seems the Info Tip is by design to show when the scroll bar appears. If it shows the correct info, I think it is not the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

• Marked as answer by Alecsigh Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:46 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 2:57 AM
  • I don't remember seeing this before now - perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention!

Thanks for your time, and sorry for bringing up a non-problem!

Alec

Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:46 AM