Cannot open new windows/applications!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everybody.

I am having some trouble with my new Sony Vaio in Windows Vista Buisness. I have installed all the required updates and there are no more available.
    When i have had my computer turned on for about 10-15 minutes and have about 5 windows/applications open, it won't let me open any more and i can't even access the context menu form anywhere. I then close a couple of windows and then i can open another one, but it keeps doing it and at the end i only have one window open and can't open more. So after 30 minuttes use i have to restart to get it to reset and let me open some windows and access the context menu.

Please help, this is so annoying. I have tried editing the desktop heap size to 4096, but that doesn't help at all.

Let me know,
    thanks alot in advance,
    Klaus Vers
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:20 PM

All replies

• Klaus

Does this system have the Service Pack 1 installed?

If not, I would recommend installing the SP1 update. This will increase the default Heap Size to 12MB.

Don't forget the Caveat when changing the Desktop Heap Size:

"Please do not modify these values on a whim. Changing the second or third value too high can put you in a no-boot situation due to the kernel not being able to allocate memory properly to even get Session 0 set up" 

See the following articles for reference.

Microsoft Advanced Windows Debugging and Troubleshooting : The default interactive desktop heap size has been increased on 32-bit Vista SP1:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2008/03/20/the-default-interactive-desktop-heap-size-has-been-increased-on-32-bit-vista-sp1.aspx

Vista Hands On #17: Solving a pesky resource problem | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=269

Let us know the result.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:54 PM