asp.net application how can i convert to sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am having an existing application in asp.net , how and what is the easiest method of converting it into sharepoint , as i would like my current user to have access level restriction to this application.

since the application currently uses db to manage user how can i integrate in sharepoint do i need to do any sync with share point.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 12, 2009 11:20 AM prog q (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization)
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:07 AM

Answers

• You can deploy an ASP.NET application to SharePoint by following this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc297200.aspx.

If you want to redevelop the application in SharePoint using webparts.  You need to look at using forms authentication against SQL server and replace ASPX pages with webparts.  Have a look at the links on this page http://www.davehunter.co.uk/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=50.  ASP.NET forms auth works against the ASP.NET Membership database so you would need to recreate your users within the membership database.
    My SharePoint Blog - http://www.davehunter.co.uk/blog
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Hi , I feel this question is like how do I migrate my Procedural code to Object Oreiented and so on to Service Oriented Application (SOA) way. Converting asp.net application to Sharepoint solution  needs pardigm shift. Even though Sharepoint is based on ASP.NET object model , Sharepoint has  it's own framework on the top of ASP.NET runtime. If we look at  asp.net application it's solution consists of physical folder at server  where all aspx, ascx , asmx files in file system of IIS server. Sharepoint  enviornment has it's own content , configuration database and c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\bin\, c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\......,  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\ISAPI, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\Layouts\.. locations.

In asp.net all  aspx pages , source code we keep  in the same physical directory and compiled code in bin directory or GAC of server. But in sharepoint we have different locations where  these compoents  need to  be kept. 

Unless and until we don't understand actual architecure and Framework of Windows Sharepoint It would be just copying asp.net pages and puting in physical folder of web application(Virtual directory) and face lot of  issues because of framework of Sharepoint.

I would say there is no any standrad mechanism, free tool  to convert any ASP.NET application to Sharepoint. I encourage to learn Sharepoint using Inside Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 by Ted Pattision by Microsoft Press book.

I understant my answer does not give ready made solution but gives insight about orientation of migration issue of asp.net application to Sharepoint enviornment.

Hi , I feel this question is like how do I migrate my Procedural code to Object Oreiented and so on to Service Oriented Application (SOA) way. Converting asp.net application to Sharepoint solution  needs pardigm shift. Even though Sharepoint is based on ASP.NET object model , Sharepoint has  it's own framework on the top of ASP.NET runtime. If we look at  asp.net application it's solution consists of physical folder at server  where all aspx, ascx , asmx files in file system of IIS server. Sharepoint  enviornment has it's own content , configuration database and c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\bin\, c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\......,  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\ISAPI, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\Layouts\.. locations.

In asp.net all  aspx pages , source code we keep  in the same physical directory and compiled code in bin directory or GAC of server. But in sharepoint we have different locations where  these compoents  need to  be kept. 

Unless and until we don't understand actual architecure and Framework of Windows Sharepoint It would be just copying asp.net pages and puting in physical folder of web application(Virtual directory) and face lot of  issues because of framework of Sharepoint.

I would say there is no any standrad mechanism, free tool  to convert any ASP.NET application to Sharepoint. I encourage to learn Sharepoint using Inside Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 by Ted Pattision by Microsoft Press book.

I understant my answer does not give ready made solution but gives insight about orientation of migration issue of asp.net application to Sharepoint enviornment.

I hope this would give some guidlines.

Friday, June 12, 2009 4:12 PM

All replies

• Moving to the Programming forum.
    WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:20 AM
  • You can deploy an ASP.NET application to SharePoint by following this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc297200.aspx.

If you want to redevelop the application in SharePoint using webparts.  You need to look at using forms authentication against SQL server and replace ASPX pages with webparts.  Have a look at the links on this page http://www.davehunter.co.uk/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=50.  ASP.NET forms auth works against the ASP.NET Membership database so you would need to recreate your users within the membership database.
    My SharePoint Blog - http://www.davehunter.co.uk/blog
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Hi , I feel this question is like how do I migrate my Procedural code to Object Oreiented and so on to Service Oriented Application (SOA) way. Converting asp.net application to Sharepoint solution  needs pardigm shift. Even though Sharepoint is based on ASP.NET object model , Sharepoint has  it's own framework on the top of ASP.NET runtime. If we look at  asp.net application it's solution consists of physical folder at server  where all aspx, ascx , asmx files in file system of IIS server. Sharepoint  enviornment has it's own content , configuration database and c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\bin\, c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\......,  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\ISAPI, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\Layouts\.. locations.

Hi , I feel this question is like how do I migrate my Procedural code to Object Oreiented and so on to Service Oriented Application (SOA) way. Converting asp.net application to Sharepoint solution  needs pardigm shift. Even though Sharepoint is based on ASP.NET object model , Sharepoint has  it's own framework on the top of ASP.NET runtime. If we look at  asp.net application it's solution consists of physical folder at server  where all aspx, ascx , asmx files in file system of IIS server. Sharepoint  enviornment has it's own content , configuration database and c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\bin\, c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\......,  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\ISAPI, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\Layouts\.. locations.

I hope this would give some guidlines.

Friday, June 12, 2009 4:12 PM