locked
Client gets 80072EE2 Error after uninstalling and reinstalling WSUS on same server RRS feed

  • Question

  • After having some issues with WSUS on our Windows Server 2008 r2 server, we decided to uninstall and reinstall the wsus role, creating a new database as the current one didn't work. 

    Now when clients try to connect to WSUS server, they get the 80072EE2 error. 

    I'm guessing it is something to do with the URL for WSUS server (http://wsusserver). How can i check what URL is the correct URL from the WSUS server?

    A previous engineer initially configured this but he has now left and this isn't really my area of expertise. 

    Any help/suggestions will be appreciated. 

    Thanks,

    Stephen

    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:40 PM

Answers

  • Thanks Anne, sorry I've been so busy over the last week or so. Issue is now resolved. I had to uninstall WSUS and reinstall, creating a new instance of the database and WSUS is working again.

    I had to ensure that "KB2734608 - v3.2.7600.256" was installed so that the clients would receive their updates correctly.

    Things are working smoothly now.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Stephen

    • Marked as answer by Stephen_Clark Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:28 AM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:28 AM

All replies

  • Hi Stephen_Clark,

    By default, for WSUS 2008R2, the URL is http://wsusserver; and it use port 80 for http, port 443 for https.

    As for your issue, please check the following things:

    1. On the WSUS server, check if there are any errors in the Event Viewer>Server role> WSUS;

    2. On the clients, please check registry keys in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate and the Sub Key "AU"; verify if the settings are all correct, if you can't verify, you may post the information up;

    3. Check the firewall settings, check if the http port 80 or https 443(if you configure SSL for WSUS) is open;

    4. If the settings are all correct while the clients still unable to update from the WSUS server, please reset Windows Update components on the clients, check if it could help:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

    By the way, if you have windows 10  or Windows Server 2016 clients, you need to use WSUS 2012(R2) or WSUS 2016.

    5. On the WSUS server, run Server Cleanup Wizard.

    Best Regards,

    Anne


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:51 AM
  • Thanks for that Anne. After coming in this morning, I am now getting a different error (Code 800b0001) is displayed on the client computers. Even after going through all of the above steps.

    I'll do a bit digging today and find out what this error means.

    Thanks again

    Stephen

    Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:32 AM
  • Hi Stephen_Clark,

    Just to check if you get any progress with your issue? Welcome to feedback.

    Best Regards,

    Anne


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Thanks Anne, sorry I've been so busy over the last week or so. Issue is now resolved. I had to uninstall WSUS and reinstall, creating a new instance of the database and WSUS is working again.

    I had to ensure that "KB2734608 - v3.2.7600.256" was installed so that the clients would receive their updates correctly.

    Things are working smoothly now.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Stephen

    • Marked as answer by Stephen_Clark Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:28 AM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:28 AM