Word file keeps disappearing from C drive! RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Word 2000, build 9.0.6926 service pack 3.  I copied a Word document from my flash drive to the C drive.  I just open my computer, the C: drive and then save things directly there.  After I did that, the document became "Read only".  I then had to do "Save as" with a different name so that I could edit it.  When I went back to the C drive to retrieve my document, it wasn't there!  I had to do a search and it was located in C:\Users\Press Me\AppData\Local\VirtualStore.

I have also tried to save my document after I open and edit it from the C drive, but the document disappears after I save it!  I find it back in C:\Users\Press Me\AppData\Local\VirtualStore!

Any ideas why this happens?  It's VERY aggravating!
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Chriam

The root of the C: drive should not be used to save or store files. This location is highly restricted with the default permissions in Windows 7. This is the reason the files are being 'Virtualized' and redirected to the Virtual Store folder.

You should be saving the files to a folder under C:\Users\Yourname. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP 
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Chriam, does the issue occur if you using other application or does it only happen on Word 2000?
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:25 AM
  • It appears to only do it with Office 2000.  I have been playing with Excel and Word and they both seem to have the same problem.

If I:
    1. Copy from flash drive and paste to C: drive- read only
    2. Copy from flash drive to desktop- read and write
    3. Copy from flash drive to desktop, then copy from desktop and paste to C: drive- read only
    4. Cut from desktop and paste to C: drive- read and write

I can work with documents on the desktop without the file disappearing.

If the read and write documents are open and then saved to the C: drive, with or without any changes, they disappear.  I have to recover them from the VirtualStore folder (C:\Users\Press Me\AppData\Local\VirtualStore).

The same is true of read only documents when I save as, change their name, and save them to the C: drive.

Monday, September 14, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Hi Chriam

The root of the C: drive should not be used to save or store files. This location is highly restricted with the default permissions in Windows 7. This is the reason the files are being 'Virtualized' and redirected to the Virtual Store folder.

You should be saving the files to a folder under C:\Users\Yourname. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP 
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:47 AM
  • I like saving to the C: drive because I can get to my files quickly.

Thanks for the tip Ronnie.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Hello,

as a sidenote, you could have a very interesting reading about a similar behavior in Vista and IE7 (I'm guessing is the same for Windows 7 and IE8) here: "The case of the Phantom Desktop Files"

Regards.
    If it was helpful, please vote! · · ¡Si te ayudó, por favor vota!
    W7 RTM x64 running along with Office 2010 x64 TP
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:37 AM