Office Default Save Location Troubles RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a K-12 School District, and I'm having some difficutly with Office 2010's default save location. 

It seems to be setting the default save as the UNC path to the student's home directory (\\servername\sharename\studentfolder).  This sounds fine, but when users click on save, it actually takes them to their Desktop as the default save location. 

I did some digging around, and I think the problem is being caused by a Group Policy setting we use to take away access to Run in the Start Menu.  (Group Policy->User Config->Admin Templates->Start Menu and Taskbar->Remove Run menu from Start Menu)  One of the side effects of that policy change, is that users can no longer enter UNC paths to browse file locations, if they try, they get an "Access to the specified resource has been disallowed" error.  So I think Word is trying the UNC Path, getting an error because of the GP Setting and then going to the desktop as a backup.

I really don't want to alter the GP Setting, what I'd like to do is mass change the default save location to the mapped drive (H: in my case) instead of the UNC path.  However, I can't find and way to do it in Group Policy, I have downloaded the admx files and I don't see any settings that address default save location, which is kind of crazy to me. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Matthew

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:40 PM

All replies

• OK, I went ahead and tested by removing the GP for a test account and it did not help at all, so the GP setting is not to blame for this.

I am very confused as to what is to blame now.....If I manually change the default save location to H:\ instead of the UNC path, it will work, but that is not an option because we have too many users and not enough staff to do a desktop by desktop change.  I would still need some way of mass changing it like a GP Template.

Has anyone else gone through this?  I don't think I'm doing anything exotic by making the users home directory a network share, so I would imagine that someone else has seen this.

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Does this happen in all Office 2010 programs - Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access....?

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:43 PM