none
One time backup of specified folders to tape for archiving RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have couple of computers that are going to retired. Every computer has lot of archival data (about 900 GB per computer). I would like to make a one time backup of this data to tape and forget about those computers (when any data will be needed I want to restore data from tape backup).
    Could you please give me a clue how to do this?

For better understanding this is my scenario: 

LTO5 - 1.5 / 3 TB tape 
    Free disk storage - 1 TB 

Data to backup: 
    Computer1 - 900 GB - (folder1)
    Computer2 - 900 GB - (folder2)
    Computer6 - 900 GB - (folder6)

In final I would like to have tapes that contain:
    Tape1: folder1, folder2, folder3
    Tape2: folder4, folder5, folder6

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1) Install a DPM agent on each machine (computer1 ... Computer6)
    2) Created a new Protection group (Archive123),  and select the Folders from Computer1, 2, 3, that you want a backup of.
    3) Select LONG TERM TAPE backup.  Choose a single recover goal of every 1 Months and a long retention period (999 months, or whatever)
    4) Select a backup day and time in the future (Choose 48hrs in the future to ensure backup get scheduled properly) 
    5) Complete the wizard.
    6) Repeat steps 2-5 for the other Three servers and place them in a PG called Archive456 and choose a different day to perform the backup.
    7) Once the backups complete for Archive123, stop protection of the datasources and MAINTAIN the tape backups, DPM can recovery from those tapes in the future.
    8) Once the backups complete for Archive456, stop protection of the datasources and MAINTAIN the tape backups, DPM can recovery from those tapes in the future.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

1) Install a DPM agent on each machine (computer1 ... Computer6)
    2) Created a new Protection group (Archive123),  and select the Folders from Computer1, 2, 3, that you want a backup of.
    3) Select LONG TERM TAPE backup.  Choose a single recover goal of every 1 Months and a long retention period (999 months, or whatever)
    4) Select a backup day and time in the future (Choose 48hrs in the future to ensure backup get scheduled properly) 
    5) Complete the wizard.
    6) Repeat steps 2-5 for the other Three servers and place them in a PG called Archive456 and choose a different day to perform the backup.
    7) Once the backups complete for Archive123, stop protection of the datasources and MAINTAIN the tape backups, DPM can recovery from those tapes in the future.
    8) Once the backups complete for Archive456, stop protection of the datasources and MAINTAIN the tape backups, DPM can recovery from those tapes in the future.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

So that we assume job start trigger by schedule?

Is there a way to backup without using schedule and without consistently check?
    Monday, May 28, 2012 4:47 AM
  • i,

Q1) Yes, that is the easies way to get all datasources in the PG on the same tape, let the scheduled jobs run.

Q2) Consistency Check is only for disk based backups, so not sure what you mean.  I have a script that will let you choose a PG to backup to tape manually, but today is U.S. Holiday, so cannot supply it until tomorrow.

Monday, May 28, 2012 4:29 PM
  • i,

Q1) Yes, that is the easies way to get all datasources in the PG on the same tape, let the scheduled jobs run.

Q2) Consistency Check is only for disk based backups, so not sure what you mean.  I have a script that will let you choose a PG to backup to tape manually, but today is U.S. Holiday, so cannot supply it until tomorrow.

on A2) do mean by this? or different? If different let us know what that about.

If we do manually using "Create Recovery Point" the backup to finish take ages. Here the result.

I posted other question related on this issue at here.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

Here is the DPM Powershell script that allows you to backup an entire PG to tape on demand.

# prompts for protection group name and Shortterm or longterm backup type
    # Will backup PG to tape and if verify is set on the PG the verify will run.
    disconnect-dpmserver (&hostname)
    connect-dpmserver (&hostname)
    param([string] $pgname, [string] $protectiontype) 
    cls
    if(!$pgname)
    {
        $pgname =  read-host "Protection Group Name"
    }
    if(!$protectiontype)
    {
        $protectiontype =  read-host "Select Tape Protection type to run (Longterm or Shortterm)"
    }
    	write-host "`nGetting protection group $pgname in $(&hostname)..." 
    		$clipg = Get-ProtectionGroup (&hostname) | where { $_.FriendlyName -eq $pgname}

if($clipg -eq $abc)
    		{
    			Throw "No PG found"
    		}

write-Output "Getting DS from PG $pgname..." 
    		$backupds = @(Get-Datasource $clipg)
    		foreach ($ds in $backupds)
    		{  
    			write-host
    			write-host "Creating Recovery point for $ds" -foreground yellow  
    			$j = New-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $ds -Tape -ProtectionType $protectiontype
    			$jobtype = $j.jobtype
    			Write-Output "$jobtype Job has been triggerred..." 
    			write-host "Waiting for $jobtype job to complete" -nonewline
    			while (! $j.hascompleted ){ write-host "." -nonewline; start-sleep 5}
    			write-host
    			if ($j.status -eq "Succeeded") 
    			{
    				Write-host "Job $Jobtype completed successfully..."
    				$rp  = @(get-recoverypoint $ds | ? { $_.datalocation -eq 'Media'})
    				$rpl = get-recoverypointlocation $rp[$rp.count-1]
    				$gt  = get-tape -recoverypointlocation $rpl
    	  			$gtt += $gt

}

}

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Thanks. Very simple and effective script. My favorite kind!
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:01 PM