none
DPM 2010 - How DPM does manage the data when a job is failed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a quick question please.

My backup job was running this morning and the Data Transfered to tape was around of 600Gb but the job failed because no tape was available in my library. So we insert a new tape 2 hours later and so the job restarted from 0 Gb (Data Transfered.)

Does that mean my backup job restarts from the beginning so the job needs to save all my data again or does that mean my previous data transfered this morning are saved on tape definitely ?

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Only data sources that SPAN a tape will be discarded if no tape is available to continue backing up that data source.  You can avoid starting the backup over by setting this registry key.

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Restart the DPMRA service for the key to take effect.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Only data sources that SPAN a tape will be discarded if no tape is available to continue backing up that data source.  You can avoid starting the backup over by setting this registry key.

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Restart the DPMRA service for the key to take effect.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you very much !!

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:32 PM