Exchange 2013 Auto Attendant calling number normalization. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have DDI Lync users, and when calling the number directly from external phone (07411222333), Lync client will be showing +447411222333 as calling number, but if the call is missed or caller leaves voicemail Outlook will show 07411222333 as calling number. How does Exchange handle calling number normalization?

If I try to call the same DDI number (using last 4 digits as extension) via Exchange Auto Attendant, then dial in the extension number when prompted, the Lync client will show +7411222333, and the missed call notification will show 007411222333.

How can I change the format in which the calling number is passed by AA? 

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:06 PM

All replies

• I'm assuming you are only working with a single UM Dial Plan that is integrated with your Lync.

Authenticated callers to the AA should show their primary EUM address as the calling party ID to the outgoing call.  Unauthenticated callers to the AA will pass on the incoming calling party ID to the outgoing call.

Depending on if you have a SIP gateway and/or SBC involved here, those devices might be doing some digit manipulation or Lync itself is doing some digit manipulation.

UM itself doesn't manipulate calling party ID.  It can manipulate dialed/called party numbers by using dialing rule groups.

You didn't mention your version of Lync and Exchange so I can't explain any further.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thank you for replying. It certainly helped me to undersytand better how AA handles the calls. I have a SIP gateway (Audiocodes Mediant 1000) installed, and it doesn't alter caller's ID, it passes it as it comes from PSTN.

My Lync is 2013 and Exchange also 2013, but what puzzles me is, that the caller ID passed to Lync is in this case always the same (since it comes from SIP gateway , and AA doesn't alter it), but the Lync client will show it differently depending if the call went directly to Lync or was forwarded from AA. I am starting to think, that the issue is with Calling number translation for Trunk configuration in Lync, the calls from AA are not normalized by Trunk configuration. I will test it and then post the results.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:02 PM
  • we are also facing the same problem. If you found the solution, Please share. 

Mani Bhushan

Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:48 AM
  • This discussion gives some background on what is happening with the calling party number:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b35e874c-bbe4-4e6f-a453-e3716958ab14/inbound-call-from-pstn-calling-number-normalization-on-lync?forum=ocsvoice

In short, best to try normalise to a common format (e.g. E.164) for calling number on your AudioCodes, before the call enters the Lync/Skype environment.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:44 AM