none
using DPM in azure to backup On-premises servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i have several SMALL sites, each of which contains servers that needs to be backed up. is it possible to install/use an already installed DPM server on Azure, and simply install agents (or whatever they are called) on each on-premises server to have them backup their information to Azure cloud?
    thank you,
    Gil
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

From this article, it may not able to help backup files in your main office or branch office:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj852163.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

DPM running as an Azure virtual machine can’t protect on-premises data.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In theory that should work, but that is not currently a tested or supported configuration.   Another alternative is to use Windows Azure Backup on each of the remote sites and let them backup their own data to Azure.  They can share the same backup vault, or they can use separate vault.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 4:55 PM
  • Hi, thank you very much for your answer.

problem is that Windows Azure Backup cannot backup open files (VSS doesn't use any writers)

So i've been told by Azure support that DPM is the best solution to backup open/used files, SQL DBs etc.

i'm just not interested in installing DPM server and paying on licensing for it, in each of my sites.

So my question is actually is it possible to have a DPM server as a VM on Azure, serving agents (Servers, Desktops etc.) that are located not in Azure? (in my Main office, Branch office etc.)

thanks!

• Edited by Gil Kremer Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

From this article, it may not able to help backup files in your main office or branch office:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj852163.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

DPM running as an Azure virtual machine can’t protect on-premises data.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:36 AM