none
Two bluetooth dongles, a usb female to male adaptor, to replace a simple usb wire. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In an abstract sense I wonder if a regular usb lead, can be replaced with two bluetooth dongles and a female-to-male usb adapter.

More specifically, I am simply trying to replace the wire I normally use to connect pc with printer.

Why should I need to buy more expensive equipment, such as printer servers, etc etc...

Is it really not possible to buy to simple pair of bluetooth dongles [possigly identical] and use this as a replacement virtual wire?

I would have thought that if the printer can power up its dongle, this should have been possible.

I really wonder why people didnt think of this before:

just to sell dedicated bluetooth dongle pairs, one with a female plug, the other with a male plug, such that the two could be used as a virtual usb wire.

Please excuse my ignorance, and allow for my frustration. This is an honest question.

Many thanks,

Mike.

Friday, September 11, 2015 8:55 AM

All replies

• I do not think that this will work because Windows expects a bluetooth printer at the far end, not a USB printer. The protocols are radically different. But why don't you give it a try?
    Friday, September 11, 2015 12:04 PM
  • Many thanks for the response. 

Curiosity killed the cat as they say.

The dongle plugged to the printer, wouldn’t even pay me the courtesy of lighting/flashing up.

I guess now I’ve ended up with two extra Bluetooth dongles I do not need; which by the very operational definition given to me by a dear friend this is an act of inflation.

As I am a trained Physicist, inflation I would say is a manifestation of increasing the entropy of a system.  

I just really hope that the entropy will be so large at some point, the temperature so high, that Blue chips such as you guys as Apple and Microsoft burn to the ground. [Bear with me now, I am not being terribly honest, just overwhelmingly sarcastic]. The rest of us will burn down too, but so be it... what can be done about it?

Now, who really gives a flying Fuc…ibet cream if the protocols are radically different? Just another super petty excuse for you giants to increase inflation.

Honestly? My counter to that:

JUST MAKE ONE GRAND UNIVERSAL PROTOCOL, THAT SHALL MAKE EVERYTHING FIT AND WORK WITH EVERYTHING ELSE. 

This is not just about money…. You know…

On, another note… I am deeply thankful for your response.

Many thanks,

Mike.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:42 AM