none
Project is taking too much time to create (more than 5mins) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project template with over 400 lines of tasks with resources assigned. I have attached this template to one the EPT. When i create a project plan using this EPT from Project Online it is taking over 5mins of time.

Important observation is it is happening only for 1st time creation. Next time onwards plan is getting published quickly. 

Any thoughts? 

Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you have many assignments, this could contribute to the issue. Do you have a lot calculated task fields? These can slow things down as well. 

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Thanks Gary.

Yes, there are many assignments and with more durations. Overall project duration is more than 5 years. We have tasks with duration more than 100 days with 2-3 resources assigned. May be this could be causing issue. So in this scenario, is there any way to improve the performance?

There are no calculated fields.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Yes, this definitely could be the issue. Publishing, especially the first time, has to populate all of the time phased information. For each resource, for each task, for each day, a record is written. Consequently, for a five year project, that's a lot of data.

Once published, only changed data is written, hence a lot less data. One way to test this as the cause is to change the Project Start Date. This will require every record to be rewritten.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | Academy

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:38 AM