none
Unable to Open Project Site Access Denied Issue (Project Manager) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi 

We got an issue that one project manager is having 12 projects, in that she can able to view 5 projects-- project sites but remaining 7 projects --- she is not able to open the project site (access denied) error is throwing when she try to open.

She is the project manager of the 12 projects and having project manager permissions on the project sites.

Please suggest any solution for this.

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:30 AM

All replies

• Project for which she is not able to open project site,

check whether is the Project owner or not , If she is the owner ask her to open all the project one by one and publish them. 

If she is not the owner then ask owner of the project to add her name in the team of the project from Build team functionality then assign any task save and publish the project . DO it for all the 7 project .

Check the setting of project site provisioning whether it is automatic (once project would be publish all the team member will get the access)or manually need to add user in the project site to give permission.

IF default project site provisioning permission will be automatic and if any one is adding her name in the project site permission manually then once project will be published she will loose the permission.

kirtesh

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:44 AM
  • We have checked all the above,

She is the Project Manager, now we have republished the project and in the Project Site--- Permissions---She don't have any permission---but she is the Owner of that Project.

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Are project site inheriting the permission from PWA or it breaks ?? Check in the project Site permission.

Try to add her name manually in the Project site permission as project manager then ask her to check 

kirtesh

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Here the permissions are breaking, she is not getting the same PWA permissions.

We had refreshed her profile once and run the user sync once automatically she got the default permissions what ever she have in PWA.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:43 PM
  • I assume issue got resolved. 

kirtesh

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:50 PM
  • Did you manage to solve it? Because same thing is happening to me, only difference is the user is a team member.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Hi Andres,

Which version of Project Server? If it is 2013, are you in Project Server permission or Sharepoint permission mode?

Anyway, check that the resource is in the project team, then republish the project to enforce permissions sync between the project and the site.

Check also that the team member does not have any exceptions in his user profile, any denied permission related to project site.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Hi Guillaume thanks for your quick answer, answering your questions:

Project Server Permission Mode

The resource is on the Project team

The Project was republished many times

Also re-synced using SharePoint connected sites option

What do you mean exactly with exceptions? The user is part of team members group, my tasks category.

Edit: Yes, it's 2013

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Is he the only user encountering this unexpected behavior?

By exceptions, I mean that the user permissions might have been directly changed, whereas any security update must be done on groups and/or categories but never for a single user.

Also check if the project manager didn't modify the permissions in the project iste, breaking the permissions inheritance.

When publishing, check that the job has been successfully processed.

Finally, kind of obvious (or stupid) thing that can always happen :

• the user might have applied a filter in the project center view
    • the resource is the project team could be by mistake a local resource

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

he is not the only one, have other users and other projects.

also, if I add testUser to the Project and publish, the user is being added as a team member on Project site, but never happens for the user I started this for.

The job publish succesful.

The user can Access the Project but not the Project site, so is not a view problem, also checked if it is a local resource.

Many thanks for your answer, as you see I have checked many things, also did a sql server profiler read to see if it is something broke up at DB level, but it seems I will have to open a Support ticket.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Have you gotten a resolution from MS support on your issue?  We are experiencing exactly the same problem with certain Projects and Project managers.  There is no reason for the issue as everything was working correctly until two weeks ago.  I've been checking the ULS logs and done some extensive testing and have never seen a security sync of publish error and yet certain PM's will not inherit rights to their Project site.

Frank Miranda Florida Hospital MIS

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:43 PM
  • I believe I've found the fix for this issue.  After opening a ticket with MS support and not getting anywhere with this issue I decided to do an in-depth review of all the Project and SharePoint 2013 CU's starting with December 2013 to September 2014.  To my amazement buried inside the July 2014 CU was a hotfix for this issue described almost word for word. (I will list all the relevant KB's at the end)  I contacted my support engineer inquiring about this hotfix and he stated it wasn't relevant because the "Synchronize Project Web App permissions to Project Site" was not failing or even generating any warnings in our Prod or Test environments.  I stated that is not always an indicator as ULS doesn't always catch all relevant errors.

I informed him that I also found a second hotfix pertaining to the same issue released August 2014, apparently the first hotfix in July didn't totally resolve the issue and a second hotfix was released.  He was adamant that this would not resolve our issue and he requested or production databases because he was unable to replicate the issue in his test environment.  The reason, you may wonder, is because he was at a higher patch level that our farm.... Obviously!  His farm had the most current CU which included the hotfixes from July and August.  Apparently he didn't see the flaw in his logic.

I decided to install the September CU on our test farm. Low and behold that fixed the problem, even though MS support stated the hotfix was not relevant to our issue.  I learned a long time ago to take MS support comments as suggestions instead of gospel truth, this isn't the first time they have confidently given me erroneous information.

We are currently doing further testing to verify that this CU didn't break something else.  Unfortunately these rollups are not GA and Microsoft is very clear that you should only install them if the hotfixes pertain directly to your issue.

Finding the hotfixes was a chore as Microsoft loves to create multiple KB's for the same thing and then nest (bury) them so you have to dig through four or five KB's to find the relevant fix.  I'll save you the trouble and list them below.

Watch the September CU Webcast Brian Smith and team go into depth explaining why this issue has been happening and how they fixed it.

Frank Miranda Florida Hospital MIS

Monday, October 13, 2014 6:37 PM