none
Using AD Sync for work resources, AND manual add for cost resources? RRS feed

• Question

• Using Project Online I currently have a large enterprise resource pool, and I'm currently trying to work out if I can use an AD sync to take over this arduous task for my team who are manually maintaining the resource data at the moment.

One thing I cannot work out is if I can still have some resources that are manually created/maintained or if this will be removed/made inactive when we use AD Sync as they won't be in the AD group. This would be for our Cost Resources which we like to also put into the resource pool for consistency in reporting, e.g. if everyone is using the same vendor on their project we would want to see this and the total cost but if we let them each create a local resource there is bound to be typo's and name variations.

Is it possible to have some manual resources?

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:45 AM

Answers

• Jessica --

You can use AD sync to add Work resources automatically to your Enterprise Resource Pool.  Unless I am sadly mistaken, this will not affect Cost or Material resources, which must be added manually.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:10 PM

All replies

• Please refer to below link to understand how the AD sync will affect your model, it has general scenarios and details.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982985.aspx

From your description if you are creating a Cost resource that is not from AD are they AD users or local to a project? You can try using the generic resources for your cost resource if it is shared among multiple projects calculation would return you precise values just make sure engagement is marked properly in projects. 

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:18 AM
  • Jessica --

You can use AD sync to add Work resources automatically to your Enterprise Resource Pool.  Unless I am sadly mistaken, this will not affect Cost or Material resources, which must be added manually.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:10 PM
  • That helps very much. Thank you, Dale.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:52 PM