Windows 2012 Hyper-V Cluster CSV Volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, quick question: When i created a cluster shared volume on a new Windows 2012 two-node hyper-v cluster, I noticed that it did not create the path on the C: drive I was expecting; i.e.; C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1

Instead it just created C:\ClusterStorage 

I thought that the Add to Cluster Shared Volumes action should have created the Volume1 folder under the C:\ClusterStorage folder and would create a Volume2 folder if I added another CSV. Is this what happens now? Do I just create a Volume1 folder myself and proceed with the creation of virtual machines in that folder? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It will not create the folder such as Volume1 until you add a disk to the Cluster Shared Volumes.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:44 AM
  • In Failover Cluster Manager you need to right-click on the disk under Storage and select Add to Cluster Shared Volumes
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:12 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It will not create the folder such as Volume1 until you add a disk to the Cluster Shared Volumes.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:44 AM
  • In Failover Cluster Manager you need to right-click on the disk under Storage and select Add to Cluster Shared Volumes
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:12 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:12 AM
  • I found my issue. When the iSCSI drive was created for the CSV, the disk was initialized, but I found out that a Simple volume wasn't created on it after the initialization. So I removed the CSV, removed the Cluster disk, created the simple volume on the disk with no drive letter, added a Disk in Failover Cluster Manager, and then added the disk to Cluster Shared Volumes, and look at that...the Volume1 folder was created under C:\ClusterStorage. Good to go.  Thanks everyone.
    • Proposed as answer by ribeauville Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:59 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

As soon as C:\ClusterStorage\Volume 1 is created is there specific thing to do to be able to add files in this volume ? cos I got write permissions error whentrying to do that .

Thanks for help.

Regards,

J.P.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:02 PM