Where can I download all update-help files for PowerShell v4.0? RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to run the 'update-help' command I receive this error message:

update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'ISE, Microsoft.PowerShell.Management, Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility, CimCmdlets, Microsoft.PowerShell.Diagnostics,

Microsoft.PowerShell.Host, Microsoft.PowerShell.Security, Microsoft.WSMan.Management, PSDesiredStateConfiguration, PSScheduledJob, PSWorkflow, PSWorkflowUtility,

Microsoft.PowerShell.Core' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : A Help URI cannot contain more than 10 redirections. Specify a valid Help URI.

At line:1 char:1

+ update-help

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Update-Help], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : TooManyRedirections,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

I know how to use the 'save-help' command as well but I get the same 'more than 10 redirections' error with that command. Where can I find the most updated help files, including the ones for the ActiveDirectory module, so I can download them and then I can just use the '-SourcePath' parameter?

Or, if you know a way around the 10 redirection limit or something else that might work, let me know. -Force does not work.

• Edited by Fellow Noob Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:21 PM Clarification
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:17 PM

Answers

• After talking to one of the network administrators we found that one of the firewalls had blacklisted PowerShell and was denying it access outside the network. We whitelisted PowerShell in the firewall and then ran the 'update-help' command again and it worked like it was supposed to.
    • Marked as answer by Fellow Noob Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:39 PM

All replies

• Update-Help -Force

It may be that you have a bad DNS or that you have some other issue due to a badly set up proxy server.  THe Uri referenced for some help file or module is being redirected and it shouldn't be.

Eliminate all third party modules in the update an try again.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Fellow Noob Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Fellow Noob Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:46 PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:38 PM
  • There is no workaround.  There should be no redirection.  It is an error in your system.  You have to find the Utl and module causing this.

From the error I suggest you have a Trojan router, a bad router, a bad proxy server or other issues with your system or network.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:48 PM
  • The only added module to my PowerShell is ActiveDirectory. I've only had this computer and OS for 1 full day and all I did was download the Active Directory files from Microsoft and then used the 'Import-Module ActiveDirectory' command. Nothing else has been touched.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:50 PM
  • The only added module to my PowerShell is ActiveDirectory. I've only had this computer and OS for 1 full day and all I did was download the Active Directory files from Microsoft and then used the 'Import-Module ActiveDirectory' command. Nothing else has been touched.

There is no download for AD modules.  Are you referring to RSAT?

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:52 PM
  • There is no download for AD modules.  Are you referring to RSAT?

\_(ツ)_/

Yes, sorry. The command I used remains the same though.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:55 PM
  • There is no download for AD modules.  Are you referring to RSAT?

\_(ツ)_/

Yes, sorry. The command I used remains the same though.

I suggest network issues or an infected system.  Some malware will install a local proxy, router or redirect your DNS.  Of course it could just be corruption.

I am assuming Windows 10 Pro with all updates installed.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Windows 7 SP1
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Of course, Update-Help presumes that your DNS infrastructure is working correctly and that you are able to access the URLs through any proxies, firewalls, etc.

If there is a problem with your DNS (or an upstream DNS that you're depending on), or a problem with a proxy server, or firewall, or something similar, then of course all bets are off.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:02 PM
  • What version of PowerShell?  When did you install the PowerSHell update?

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Of course, Update-Help presumes that your DNS infrastructure is working correctly and that you are able to access the URLs through any proxies, firewalls, etc.

If there is a problem with your DNS (or an upstream DNS that you're depending on), or a problem with a proxy server, or firewall, or something similar, then of course all bets are off.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

I really don't know then. I am currently using the workstation that I am also running PS on and I can visit webpages and other sites just fine. Since PS uses port 80 when looking for update files (unless you specify SSL which is port 443 I believe) then I really have no idea where the problem lies.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:05 PM
  • What version of PowerShell?  When did you install the PowerSHell update?

\_(ツ)_/

Version 4.0 is what was on here when I got it.

PS C:\Windows\system32> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                     
    ----                           -----                                                                                                                                     
    PSVersion                      4.0                                                                                                                                       
    WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                                                                       
    SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                                                                                                                   
    CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.34209                                                                                                                           
    BuildVersion                   6.3.9600.16406                                                                                                                            
    PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}                                                                                                                      
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.2

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:08 PM
  • How did you get a brand new Windows 7 SP1 system with PS4. It is not installed by default. Who built your machine?

Check to be sure the required Net Framework patches have been installed.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:20 PM
  • WMF 4.0 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5. You can install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 from the Microsoft Download Center.

Run WU to be sure to get the patches.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:22 PM
  • How did you get a brand new Windows 7 SP1 system with PS4. It is not installed by default. Who built your machine?

\_(ツ)_/

Oh, well if PS v4.0 isn't installed by default I will go and have a talk with our workstation and recovery guys I guess and see what their process is. Even if you didn't solve my problem exactly, thanks for the help.
    • Edited by Fellow Noob Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:34 PM To claify which program I am talking about
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:24 PM

\_(ツ)_/

Oh, well if v4.0 isn't installed by default I will go and have a talk with our workstation and recovery guys I guess and see what their process is. Even if you didn't solve my problem exactly, thanks for the help.
    WMF 4.0 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:32 PM
  • WMF 4.0 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5. You can install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 from the Microsoft Download Center.

\_(ツ)_/

I checked the registry and my system has .NET version 4.5.2 installed.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:32 PM

\_(ツ)_/

I checked the registry and my system has .NET version 4.5.2 installed.

Did you run WU to be sure all patches are installed?

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:33 PM
  • I checked the registry and my system has .NET version 4.5.2 installed.

Did you run WU to be sure all patches are installed?

\_(ツ)_/

Everything is up to date in WU.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:04 PM
  • After talking to one of the network administrators we found that one of the firewalls had blacklisted PowerShell and was denying it access outside the network. We whitelisted PowerShell in the firewall and then ran the 'update-help' command again and it worked like it was supposed to.
    • Marked as answer by Fellow Noob Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:39 PM