Running ISO files under Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure this is the right forum, so if not please redirect. I do have Vista Ultimate.

It has been a persistent problem fo rme for months I just could not focus on it fully to comprehend, This morning I decided it was time to crack it once and for all.

I downloaded Microsoft Windows Vista Driver from a MS Downloads site. First I saved it in a folder, then copied to a DVD-R and burned it with what I actually did not quite catch. I could be either Window Media Player or that small button Burn which conveniently appears on the task bar of every file/directory browser when you click on Computer. I think the latter was the case.

In short I verified that the image was burned when I took it to a different computer and was able to see it.

Here is the problem. When I tried to install the Kit, it showed a window saying that windows cannot open this file and offering me an option either to find a WIndows program on my machine or go to the Web.

I caould not find any file installer on my machine although it seems I have downloaded Windows Installer and installed it. I cannot see it anywhere.

Now, the next option is going to the Web. Vista offers a choice of  3 or 4 vendors that sell their APIs. I tried one: Golden Hawk Technologies. Actually It is a DVD burner as I found out after I downloade a demo. Why in the workd do I need a burner if I've burned my image already?

Anyhow, that demo which looks gorgeous seems to be a total scam. Of course you do not expect much from a demo but it is supposed to burn at x1 which it did not in a test. I called their phone number and a cheerful girl asked me if I wanted Golden Hawk, I said yes, she said that it was a plastic surgeon's office. They get a flood of calls for GHT for sure.

I sent them 2 emails (techsupport@goldenhawk.com.)  Nobody asnwered. Sounds like a full blown scam.

Anyhow. How in the world do I go about installing images like that?

I also want to mention that when I use MSDN shipped iso images, they install with no problem. The system never asks me those questions how to open an iso file. I am an MSDN Pro subscriber.

It is all very confusing. I can call MS and request a DVD for the Resourse Kit but I want to comprehend what is going on since it is easier for me to burn my own data files.

Many thanks.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 3:12 PM

All replies

•  

I use ImgBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn ISO's on Vista X64.  You might also want DVD-INFO but you have to donate to get the adware-free version of DVD-INFO.  DVD-INFO is available at http://www.dvdinfopro.com/.

While both utilities are free, both have donate options.  I donated to both because I use both.

Like you, though, I would love to find an ISO mounting tool for Vista X86 and Vista X64 that I could be sure was adware/spyware/rootkit free.  While I hear a lot of anecdotal reports about what has and does not have malware, I have never heard from a source that I trust.  Hopefully someone will have a reply here with links to reliable and trusted sources for reviews of ISO mounting tools for Vista.

It is a real shame that Microsoft did not include one in Vista since Microsoft has taken to distributing software in ISO format as much as they do.

Dale

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:53 PM
  •  Dale17677 wrote:

I use ImgBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn ISO's on Vista X64.  You might also want DVD-INFO but you have to donate to get the adware-free version of DVD-INFO.  DVD-INFO is available at http://www.dvdinfopro.com/.

While both utilities are free, both have donate options.  I donated to both because I use both.

Like you, though, I would love to find an ISO mounting tool for Vista X86 and Vista X64 that I could be sure was adware/spyware/rootkit free.  While I hear a lot of anecdotal reports about what has and does not have malware, I have never heard from a source that I trust.  Hopefully someone will have a reply here with links to reliable and trusted sources for reviews of ISO mounting tools for Vista.

It is a real shame that Microsoft did not include one in Vista since Microsoft has taken to distributing software in ISO format as much as they do.

Dale

Thank you Dale. It is quite helpful. I kind of suspect there is such a tool you are talking about in the vast MS arcenal but it may be hard to find. I am going through various APIs in Windows Resource Kits and if I come across one I will definitely post it here.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 2:44 PM
  • You won't find anything from Microsoft.  This is an oft-blogged and question failure on the part of Windows Vista. 

You can also look at tools like Virtual CloneDrive from http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html or Daemon Tools from http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5.

My only concern with those two apps, or others like them, is that some ISO software for Vista is infested with adware and I have never heard from a trusted source that these apps - or any specific others - are truly free from adware.

Dale

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:26 PM
  •  Dale17677 wrote:

You won't find anything from Microsoft.  This is an oft-blogged and question failure on the part of Windows Vista. 

You can also look at tools like Virtual CloneDrive from http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html or Daemon Tools from http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5.

My only concern with those two apps, or others like them, is that some ISO software for Vista is infested with adware and I have never heard from a trusted source that these apps - or any specific others - are truly free from adware.

Dale

Dale, thank you. You are very expedient. You may be wrong, though. I wnat your opinion on what I've found. In summary it is dvdburn.exe from Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit.

I am posting links, some stuff I glued from the sites:

The catch-22 for me may be that in order to install WS2003RK I will have to get a commercial burner first.

I am also curious about this misterious button "BURN" on the Directory/file Viewer. It can be seen in sequence:

Organize   View   Burn   <buttons>

This stuff appears to be applicable to WinXP but I've found out most of it should work in Vista provided you furnished all the right dlls.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx#dvd

Writing ISO files to CD-R or DVD-R

• Most CD-R/DVD-R writing software includes a feature to create a disc from an image file. Note: you must use the special "copy image to CD" or "burn image" functionality. See your software’s Help for detailed information.
    • The Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit includes the DVDBURN.EXE command line tool.

Testing CD-Rs and DVD-Rs

After a CD/DVD-R has been written, you can use the CRC tool to verify that the file was successfully written.

1. The CRC305.exe tool can be downloaded from MSDN Subscriber Downloads in the Tools, SDKs, DDKs folder.
    2. From a command prompt, run CRC305 filename (where filename is the image file name.)
    3. Run CRC305 x: (where x is the drive letter of the drive containing the CD/DVD-R). The CRC values should match.

Alternatively, there are many freeware programs available for calculating an SHA-1 hash value that is provided on each download page on MSDN Subscriber Downloads. Use your favorite Internet search engine to look for sha1 hash to find them.Copying the contents of ISO files
    The contents of image files may be accessed directly using third-party tools. Using this method you can extract the files from an image file to a temporary folder on your hard drive, then run setup. The following tools offer such image file support:

The products listed above have been known to work. Other products that can manipulate ISO files may work, but have not been tested.

Mounting ISO files virtually
    The following tool for Windows XP allows image files to be mounted virtually as CD-ROM/DVD-ROM devices. This tool is provided here for your convenience and is unsupported by Microsoft Product Support Services.

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

DVDBURN.EXE

Now, many of these APIs are also part of some other packages, like Windows NT Resource Kit, they can be found in SDKs, even in Windows\system32, i386 folders, etc. I am wondering if the dvdburner.exe may be somewhere there as well.

The following tools are provided:
    • Acctinfo.dll (documented in Readme.htm)
    • Adlb.exe: Active Directory Load Balancing Tool
    • Admx.msi: ADM File Parser
    • Atmarp.exe: Windows ATM ARP Server Information Tool
    • Atmlane.exe: Windows ATM LAN Emulation Client Information
    • Autoexnt.exe: AutoExNT Service
    • Cdburn.exe: ISO CD-ROM Burner Tool
    • Checkrepl.vbs: Check Replication
    • Chklnks.exe: Link Check Wizard
    • Chknic.exe: Network Interface Card Compliance Tool for Network Load Balancing
    • Cleanspl.exe: Spooler Cleaner
    • Clearmem.exe: Clear Memory
    • Clusdiag.msi: Cluster Diagnostics and Verification Tool
    • Clusfileport.dll: Cluster Print File Port
    • Clusterrecovery.exe: Server Cluster Recovery Utility
    • Cmdhere.inf: Command Here
    • Cmgetcer.dll: Connection Manager Certificate Deployment Tool
    • Compress.exe: Compress Files
    • Confdisk.exe: Disk Configuration Tool
    • Consume.exe: Memory Consumers Tool
    • Creatfil.exe: Create File
    • Csccmd.exe: Client-Side Caching Command-Line Options
    • Custreasonedit.exe: Custom Reason Editor (documented in Readme.htm)
    • Delprof.exe: User Profile Deletion Utility
    • Dh.exe: Display Heap
    • Diskraid.exe: RAID Configuration Tool
    • Diskuse.exe: User Disk Usage Tool
    • Dnsdiag.exe: SMTP DNS Diagnostic Tool (documented in Readme.htm)
    • Dumpfsmos.cmd: Dump FSMO Roles
    • Dvdburn.exe: ISO DVD Burner Tool
    • Empty.exe: Free Working Set Tool
    • Eventcombmt.exe: Check Replication
    • Fcopy.exe: File Copy Utility for Message Queuing
    • Frsflags.vbs
    • Getcm.exe: Connection Manager Profile Update
    • Gpmonitor.exe: Group Policy Monitor
    • Gpotool.exe: Group Policy Objects
    • Hlscan.exe: Hard Link Display Tool
    • Ifilttst.exe: IFilter Test Suite
    • Ifmember.exe: User Membership Tool
    • Inetesc.adm: Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration
    • Iniman.exe: Initialization Files Manipulation Tool
    • Instcm.exe: Install Connection Manager Profile
    • Instsrv.exe: Service Installer
    • Intfiltr.exe: Interrupt Affinity Tool
    • Kerbtray.exe: Kerberos Tray
    • Kernrate.exe: Kernel Profiling Tool
    • Klist.exe: Kerberos List
    • Krt.exe: Certification Authority Key Recovery
    • Lbridge.cmd: L-Bridge
    • Linkd.exe
    • Linkspeed.exe: Link Speed
    • List.exe: List Text File Tool
    • Lockoutstatus.exe: Account Lockout Status (documented in Readme.htm)
    • Logtime.exe
    • Lsreport.exe: Terminal Services Licensing Reporter
    • Lsview.exe: Terminal Services License Server Viewer
    • Mcast.exe: Multicast Packet Tool
    • Memmonitor.exe: Memory Monitor
    • Memtriage.exe: Resource Leak Triage Tool
    • Mibcc.exe: SNMP MIB Compiler
    • Moveuser.exe: Move Users
    • Mscep.dll: Certificate Services Add-on for Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol
    • Nlsinfo.exe: Locale Information Tool
    • Now.exe: STDOUT Current Date and Time
    • Ntimer.exe: Windows Program Timer
    • Ntrights.exe
    • Oh.exe: Open Handles
    • Oleview.exe: OLE/COM Object Viewer
    • Pathman.exe: Path Manager
    • Permcopy.exe: Share Permissions Copy
    • Perms.exe: User File Permissions Tool
    • Pfmon.exe: Page Fault Monitor
    • Pkiview.msc: PKI Health Tool
    • Pmon.exe: Process Resource Monitor
    • Printdriverinfo.exe: Drivers Source
    • Prnadmin.dll: Printer Administration Objects
    • Qgrep.exe
    • Qtcp.exe: QoS Time Stamp
    • Queryad.vbs: Query Active Directory
    • Rassrvmon.exe: RAS Server Monitor
    • Rcontrolad.exe: Active Directory Remote Control Add-On
    • Regini.exe: Registry Change by Script
    • Regview.exe (documented in Readme.htm)
    • Remapkey.exe: Remap Windows Keyboard Layout
    • Robocopy.exe: Robust File Copy Utility
    • Rpccfg.exe: RPC Configuration Tool
    • Rpcdump.exe
    • Rpcping.exe
    • RPing: RPC Connectivity Verification Tool
    • Rqc.exe: Remote Access Quarantine Client
    • Rqs.exe: Remote Access Quarantine Agent
    • Setprinter.exe: Spooler Configuration Tool
    • Showacls.exe
    • Showperf.exe: Performance Data Block Dump Utility
    • Showpriv.exe: Show Privilege
    • Sleep.exe: Batch File Wait
    • Sonar.exe: FRS Status Viewer
    • Splinfo.exe: Print Spooler Information
    • Srvany.exe: Applications as Services Utility
    • Srvcheck.exe: Server Share Check
    • Srvinfo.exe: Remote Server Information
    • Srvmgr.exe: Server Manager
    • Ssdformat.exe: System State Data Formatter
    • Subinacl.exe
    • Tail.exe
    • Tcmon.exe: Traffic Control Monitor
    • Timeit.exe (documented in Readme.htm)
    • Timezone.exe: Daylight Saving Time Update Utility
    • Tsctst.exe: Terminal Server Client License Dump Tool
    • Tsscalling.exe: Terminal Services Scalability Planning Tools
    • Uddicatschemeeditor.exe: UDDI Services Categorization Scheme Editor
    • Uddiconfig.exe: UDDI Services Command-line Configuration Utility
    • Uddidataexport.exe: UDDI Data Export Wizard
    • Usrmgr.exe: User Manager for Domains
    • Vadump.exe: Virtual Address Dump
    • Vfi.exe: Visual File Information
    • Volperf.exe: Shadow Copy Performance Counters
    • Volrest.exe: Shadow Copies for Shared Folders Restore Tool
    • Vrfydsk.exe: Verify Disk
    • Winexit.scr: Windows Exit Screen Saver
    • Winhttpcertcfg.exe: WinHTTP Certificate Configuration Tool
    • Winhttptracecfg.exe: WinHTTP Tracing Facility Configuration Tool
    • Winpolicies.exe: Policy Spy
    • Wins.dll: WINS Replication Network Monitor Parser
    • Wlbs_hb.dll & Wlbs_rc.dll: Windows Load Balancing Server Network Monitor Parsers

Sunday, December 23, 2007 4:27 PM
  •  Dale17677 wrote:

Dale

I think I've made some progress. I almost definitely burned a downloaded iso image for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 on my DVD-R with Microsoft Windows Player in Vista Ultimate.

I tried to do it with the Burn button on the File/directories viewer and although the image seems to have burned on DVD it could not be read in another DVD drive. With the Windows Player Burn option I can read the DVD and see that the VS2008 is there. It is an ISO file.

The problem is that I need to run (open) this file and I have no idea how to do it. There must be a special app for iso files to get activated. Windows Media Player cannot do it. I need an associated app for it to run properly and get installed.

Anybody knows how it can be done?

Thanks.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 7:04 PM
  • You may be making this way too hard.  ImgBurn is free and works with 32-bit and 64-bit Vista.  And it's easy to use.

Dale

Sunday, December 23, 2007 7:57 PM
  • Now, the next option is going to the Web. Vista offers a choice of  3 or 4 vendors that sell their APIs. I tried one: Golden Hawk Technologies. Actually It is a DVD burner as I found out after I downloade a demo. Why in the workd do I need a burner if I've burned my image already?

Anyhow, that demo which looks gorgeous seems to be a total scam. Of course you do not expect much from a demo but it is supposed to burn at x1 which it did not in a test. I called their phone number and a cheerful girl asked me if I wanted Golden Hawk, I said yes, she said that it was a plastic surgeon's office. They get a flood of calls for GHT for sure.

I sent them 2 emails ( techsupport@goldenhawk.com .)  Nobody asnwered. Sounds like a full blown scam.

Day late, dollar short, but Goldenhawk is a valid company.  Been around for quite a few years - no scam.  Not sure how you got the wrong phone number - it is on their website and has worked fine for me.

I have used CDRWIN for a long time and it works fine.

mark
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:06 PM