none
Disable Coratan "Taskbar Tidbits" by default

Question

• Is there a way to set my default for new users so that Cortana's "Taskbar Tidbits" to disabled?

I am deploying Windows 10 Enterprise in a hospital setting, and Cortana's suggestions are pretty inappropriate for the work setting and the tasks at hand.  Hey, how about we search for some movies you might enjoy?

My preference would be to disable the suggestions by default and allow the user to enable them.  If there is no way to set it to be off by default,  I would rather force "Taskbar tidbits" off completely than leave it enabled by default and force the user to figure out how to turn it off.

Monday, March 6, 2017 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

By default it’s turned on. Based on my understanding, we could turn it off and use some third party tool to capture the related registry entry changes. After that, we could deploy the changed registry entry to other Windows 10 machines to turn off "Taskbar Tidbits". I have tried on my side, the changed registry entries I found are located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{CEBFF5CD-ACE2-4F4F-9178-9926F41749EA}\Count and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage\. Try to deploy both two of these registry folder, hope it will work for you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:31 AM
  • It's Windows 10 Enterprise, isn't it? If it is, you can manage that by GPO/GPP (Allow Cortana).
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Hey, it does not work. Windows is setting a different binary every time you enable/disable Tidbits, so exporting and importing it does not work.

I hope MS comes with a solution to that, we have a lot of requests from Customers asking to disable Tidbits, My Device History and History View, which also could not be disabled by default.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:13 PM
  • Hi crown_bg,

To understand your issue more clearly and get a better support, we suggest you open a new case for yourself. 

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:37 AM
  • The settings for this type of app are actually stored in app-specific registry hive files named settings.dat

The settings.dat for Cortana on Windows 10 1607 is stored here:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\Settings

It's possible to load this hive into regedit and make changes, but the file is locked while the associated user is logged on. You can also take the settings.dat file from a system that already has Cortana configured the way you want, and use it to replace (overwrite) the settings.dat on other systems.

This blog post has some more details on how to manipulate these settings:

http://www.damirscorner.com/blog/posts/20150117-ManipulatingSettingsDatFileWithSettingsFromWindowsStoreApps.html

https://ccmcache.wordpress.com/ | @kevmjohnston

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:46 PM

• I work in a hospital.  I would like to deploy Windows 10 in our enterprise.

I am running into a lot of problems.  I cannot have computers in our exam rooms pipe up from time to time suggesting that our staff might like to go look for interesting movies to watch or get an alert about some new XBOX live game.  Do you have any expectation of when Microsoft will be releasing a version of Windows 10 that is appropriate for use in the Enterprise?

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:01 PM
  • For the same reasons, "Windows 10 Education Edition" is not appropriate for use in schools. Microsoft has turned the OS into an advertising platform for XBox which cannot be uninstalled and is completely inappropriate in a school.

Apparently the only route to disable all this by default is the Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB).

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:16 PM
  • It looks like Cortana, as far as supported settings goes is a take it or leave it proposition.

Since it appears that we will be unable to deploy Windows 10 with Cortana's tidbits disabled,  we have no choice but to disable Cortana entirely.  We'll check back in a few versions to see if the situation has improved.  Doesn't look like there is a way to disable Cortana by default either - just the ability to force it disabled via GPO so users will have no option to turn it back on. 

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:19 PM