Distribution Point space utilization RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DP with three disk volumes.  One is the OS volume, and two additional volumes are available for SCCM packages.

My problem is that SCCM is not doing a very good job of balancing those two additional volumes.  Packages are failing to distribute to the DP because there is not enough room on the first additional volume.  If I remove a few packages from the DP and then distribute new packages or redistribute new packages, they are being sent to the first additional volume even though there is a lot more space on the second volume.  Then, if I have to distribute a big package, there is not enough space in SMS_DP$ for the big package to be copied to the DP.

Why is SCCM not able to balance the space among the two volumes available to it?  It is not just bad at it - it is lousy at it.  Drive 1 has 7GB left and Drive 2 has 90GB free.  And it is not as if the DP doesn't have any packages on the second volume.  SCCM has placed a few packages on the second available volume - so I know that SCCM knows about the second volume and has access to it and all that.

I don't think I had this problem on multiple volume DPs in 2007.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:01 PM

Answers

• If your DP is set for "automatic" SCCM should use the drive with the most free space. In my environment this works as intended because we had some volumes get uses that we really did not want to get used by SCCM. It was any easy fix through. I came across this, hope it helps:

Drive Spanning

The content library can be spanned across multiple drives.  These drives can be manually chosen by the administrator at the time the distribution point is created.  Alternatively, they can be chosen automatically by Configuration Manager (this is the default setting).

If they are chosen by the administrator, a primary and secondary drive can be chosen.  On the primary drive, all metadata will be stored.  Only the File Library will be spanned across to the secondary drive.  On secondary drives, the folder’s share name includes the drive letter.  For instance, if D: and E: are secondary drives for the content library, the share names would be “SCCMContentLibD$” and “SCCMContentLibE$”, respectively.

If “Automatic” is chosen, Configuration Manager selects the drive with the most available free space as its primary drive.  All of the metadata will be stored on this drive.  Only the File Library will be spanned across to secondary drives.  The administrator selects a reserve space amount; Configuration Manager attempts to use a secondary disk once the best available disk has only this reserve space amount left free.  Each time a new drive is selected for use, the drive with the most available free space is selected.

Currently it is not possible to specify that a distribution point should use all drives except for a specific set from the console.  It can be prevented by creating an empty file on the root of the drive, called exactly “NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS”.  This file must be present before the drive is selected for use by Configuration Manager.  If Configuration Manager detects this file on the root of the drive, it will not use the drive for the content library.  Additionally, there is a command-line tool in the toolkit for permanently moving the content library to a different drive, called “ContentLibraryTransfer.exe”.

-Tony

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:12 PM