Uninstalling : Programs & Features vs system restore RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for " authoritative " answers , hopefully the answers can be backed up by an article .

There is this person who is very knowledgeable in computer. He helps solving a lot of computer issues.
    One thing that bothers me is that he always suggest System Restore when it comes to uninstalling programs.

I'd like to hear opinions of this subject.

P.S We all know that when using system restore, certain programs and Windows Updates installed after the restore point will be removed as well as the trageted program.
    No need to bring this point up.

If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 3:09 AM

Answers

• I always use Programs and Features to remove software installed in my system, although every computer user knows well that uninstallation programs do not always perform a good work and some piece of the installed program that you want to remove could still remain somewhere in the file system or in the registry.
    I believe that System Restore should be used only in particular situations, when there are too many problems in the system to be solved by uninstalling a software or when the user wants to perform some tests and need to revert back the system to a well known state and configuration (but this could be a case for using virtual machines too).

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:26 PM