none
Group Policy to keep hard drives powered up

Question

• Hello,

I am attempting to create a group policy to keep my domain hard drives powered up, never to go to sleep.

I used the Default Domain Policy: Policies>Administrative Templates>System>Power Management>Hard Disk Settings

I've enabled both the "Plugged In" & "On Battery" settings with a number of 86400 (number of seconds in a day!)

This has not propagated to users PC's after 2 days. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? 

Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please make sure you are using Windows 7 or later as Power Management in Windows XP cannot be controlled through Group Policy and you should not apply power settings to the Default Domain Policy as the Default Domain Policy applies to everything in the domain—including servers.

We recommend you create a new GPO, apply it to the OU that include the computers and apply the required settings there and run the Group Policy Modelling wizard to make sure the GPO is applied correctly. Under normal conditions, after enabling these two policies, users can not see and change the two settings, so please locate to Control Panel -> Power Options and check if the two settings are unable to change there.

Besides, another method to configure power management for your reference:

Configuring a Power Plan with Group Policy Preferences (by Alan Burchill)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/grouppolicy/2009/09/30/configuring-a-power-plan-with-group-policy-preferences-by-alan-burchill/

At last, you could replace the sensitive information of the GP result and post it directly in our forum.  

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:26 AM

All replies

• > This has not propagated to users PC's after 2 days. Any thoughts on how
    > to troubleshoot this?

"gpresult /h report.html && report.html" from an elevated commandline.
    Is your GPO applied at all?

Friday, January 15, 2016 10:41 AM
  • I am getting page cannot be displayed.  I also changed my default browser to Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome, no good.
    Friday, January 15, 2016 7:59 PM
  • I did a gpresult /r, can I send this to you at a safe location w/o making it public?

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

First, please make sure you are using Windows 7 or later as Power Management in Windows XP cannot be controlled through Group Policy and you should not apply power settings to the Default Domain Policy as the Default Domain Policy applies to everything in the domain—including servers.

We recommend you create a new GPO, apply it to the OU that include the computers and apply the required settings there and run the Group Policy Modelling wizard to make sure the GPO is applied correctly. Under normal conditions, after enabling these two policies, users can not see and change the two settings, so please locate to Control Panel -> Power Options and check if the two settings are unable to change there.

Besides, another method to configure power management for your reference:

Configuring a Power Plan with Group Policy Preferences (by Alan Burchill)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/grouppolicy/2009/09/30/configuring-a-power-plan-with-group-policy-preferences-by-alan-burchill/

At last, you could replace the sensitive information of the GP result and post it directly in our forum.  

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:26 AM