locked
Workflow Causes Data to Become Out-of-Sync RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm not sure which Service Manager forum to post this in, so I thought I would try here.  I have a workflow which takes any Incident created via the Self-Service Portal and applies a certain template to it that pre-fills the Support Group, Assigned To, and Primary Owner fields.  This workflow runs successfully but has a weird side effect.

    The Assigned To user that the template applies to this Incident is an AD account.  I have defined the "initials" field in AD for this user account.  My view displays the initials as one of the columns.  I recently changed the initials for this AD account and the new initials are reflected after I ran an AD sync. 

    However when my workflow for Portal Incidents runs (the workflow I described above) it somehow pulls the old AD initials.  I don't understand how.  It must be pulling this data from a cache or something else, because AD no longer displays the old initials.  If I manually run an AD sync it corrects this but something is wrong somewhere.  Is there a cache or something that this old and out-of-date data could be pulled from?  Not even sure where to start with this one.

    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:25 PM

All replies

  • I am assuming that you have an AD connector and that this is working 100%.

    Also check and make sure that the workflow is pulling the correct information within the template.

    Perhaps there is a "funny" in the workflow.

    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Is there a way that I can check to make sure that my AD connector IS working 100%? 

    As far as I can tell the workflow is set up correctly.  It is actually a fairly simple workflow.  Basically what it does is this - when an Incident is created and the status equals "Portal" it applies a template called "Portal Incident".  That's it.  The template itself only defines the following fields: Source, Impact, Urgency, Support Group, Assigned To, Primary Owner.  

    There is definitely something screwy somewhere. 

    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Ok,

     

    the workflow seems simple enough :)

    To check your AD Connector, you can go into the Adminstration Pane and then click Connectors.

    Your Active Directory connector shoul dbe in a status of "Finished Success"

    Just on a side note, I would also check your workflow and just make sure that it is not accidentally causing a loop.

    let me know.

    F.

     

    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:04 PM
  • How could I tell if the workflow is causing a loop? Perhaps there is something I don't understand. I don't see how the workflow could apply to any other Incidents based on the criteria I have defined.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:36 PM
  • i  guess the best way would be to check the status of the workflows and see if they are running more often than expected.

    i created an accidental loop when uopdating a case and assign myself as the engineer, i was trying to apply a new tier group, but my template was also applying the engineer as muself, which would call my workflow which would apply the template which would apply the assigned field to me and so my accidental loop was created.

    perhaps, if possible some screenshots would help us :)

     

    f.

    Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Thanks for the offer, but at this point I have disabled the workflow in question and am working around it. We just put Service Manager into production so I'm probably just going to leave it as is.
    • Edited by DMcGarvey Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:09 PM