none
Service Availability Report

Question

• Hi All,

There are some services running ( related with app ) on my some servers and i need to show case kinda report stuff to my client that yeah! we can do this with SCOM. So i have tried to create group for that but got stuck. The path followed by me to create a group is in dynamic member i have ( Object is windows Service AND ( Display/Service Name (Contains/Equal to) Exchange ) AND True ) 

Now concern is do i need to monitor those services for which i want availability report or without monitoring those will i get the data. And if it can gather data without monitoring it then how it is collecting, it would be great if any one can elaborate the background workflow, how things are going on.
    And i need to import any MP for that. But there are some custom mom layer tool , i dont think MPs' are available. The list is given below for which i want service availability report. 

Services/APP

Exchange 2013:

ADFS

DNS

DHCP

AD

ADCS

Print queue

DFS

RSA:Xplat

Google Auth:

AVamar: MOogsoft

SKFB:

SECAuth:

TMG Proxy

SQL:AVailability:

Docker

NGNIX

Let me know if still any information required! 

Cheers, Gourav (Please do take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) or find my Facebook and LinkedIn link in profile.

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Gourav,

I've made some progress in this. Turns out you CAN create a group of service monitors, but the monitor has to be created using the Windows Service Template.

So the general steps go like this -

1. Create a group (or groups, depending on your technology) of servers where you want to see the report.

2. Create individual service monitors using the windows service template for each of the service that you want to monitor. Better to give them fitting names so that you can create a dynamic query later while creating groups. E.g., add the prefix "MSX" or something for your Exchange services and likewise for other technologies.

3. Create a group (or groups, one per technology). You can choose explicit members in this case since the number of services is small. Just search for each service and add it in the group. If you wish to create a dynamic query, it would go something like ( Object is Object AND ( Display Name Contains MSX ) AND True) . This will create the group of services you want.

4. Now, try running the availability report against this group. Now here I say TRY, because I do not have Reporting installed in my lab so I couldn't test it. 

Please try this and let us know the result.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by GouravIN Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Gourav,

do you need to get the Service SLAs or The SLAs of the servers on which the services are running?

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:45 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Sir! yeah same manner.

Cheers, Gourav (Please do take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) or find my Facebook and LinkedIn link in profile.

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

>>( Object is windows Service AND ( Display/Service Name (Contains/Equal to) Exchange ) AND True )<<

What you're doing here is creating a group of services that have "Exchange" in their name/display name. Which I assume would not be very fruitful because such services probably don't exist (or maybe only 1 or 2).

What you need to do is to create monitors for these services individually and then run availability report against these monitors. You'll get the report only for the duration after the monitors have been set up.

You don't need to import any MP.

>>But there are some custom mom layer tool , i dont think MPs' are available. <<

I'm not quite sure what do you mean by this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

Friday, December 15, 2017 9:08 AM
  • Sam, Preciously i am looking forward service was the service UP whole month or not ? its similar like fetching service availability report of HealthService for across the month that either it was UP or DOWN.  

Friday, December 15, 2017 9:39 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

if you need this information then the services you query need to be monitored. Are they?

Cheers,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Friday, December 15, 2017 9:50 AM
  • Sam, Preciously i am looking forward service was the service UP whole month or not ? its similar like fetching service availability report of HealthService for across the month that either it was UP or DOWN.  

Yes it is similar to health service availability, and you are able to fetch report for health service availability because there is an object of this service.

Cheers

Friday, December 15, 2017 10:20 AM
  • Opps! Stoyan they are not monitoring from SCOM. means first i need to monitor them.

Friday, December 15, 2017 10:20 AM
  • Opps! Stoyan they are not monitoring from SCOM. means first i need to monitor them.

Yes sir, that is correct. :)

Cheers

Friday, December 15, 2017 10:22 AM

Yes sir, that is correct. :)

Cheers

Sam has confirmed it. You cannot gather availability data for object that does not exist :)

Friday, December 15, 2017 10:49 AM
  • Sam, Stoyan,

I have checked and found there are MPs' imported for Exchange and Netlogon service is geeing monitored.

But when i tried to create a group for the same by selecting windows service and then service name equal/contains Netlogon. But found no member in group and even i selected service in place of windows service.

Please share your view here! 

Friday, December 15, 2017 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

Why are you creating a group? Just create individual service monitors (preferably use the Windows service template) - they apply to the service across all your computers where service is present.

Cheers

Friday, December 15, 2017 12:48 PM
  • then how i will get a single report for all the servers?
    I thought i need to select server one by one. 

Friday, December 15, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hi Gourav,

Let me check whether my understanding of your question is correct - You want to get an availability report of a group of services running in a group of servers. And you want it in a way that for each server it lists the up/down time of all your services one-by-one. Am I right?

If I am, that is actually an interesting question...I'm not sure if you can get such a "report" (at least I don't know how to do that, others might know better)

What I can think of as workaround is to create a state view of these monitors where you can see them going healthy and/or critical. Not what you want though - but better than nothing I guess.

I "+1" to your question and I'm also looking for answer/suggestions from others :)

Cheers

Monday, December 18, 2017 11:46 AM
  • Yeah Sam,
    <<<<<You want to get an availability report of a group of services running in a group of servers. And you want it in a way that for each server it lists the up/down time of all your services one-by-one.>>>>>

Yeah! this is exactly what i am looking for and i do not got such a way to get this out. And your suggestion is quite clear Sir but concern is,  i will be sending this to my client and they guys are only focused on report basically monthly UP and Down time. Because they do want to take stress to login and check status day by day, hour and hour for server.

Stoyan, Yan please suggest here the path.

Monday, December 18, 2017 12:59 PM
  • Hi Gourav,

I've made some progress in this. Turns out you CAN create a group of service monitors, but the monitor has to be created using the Windows Service Template.

So the general steps go like this -

1. Create a group (or groups, depending on your technology) of servers where you want to see the report.

2. Create individual service monitors using the windows service template for each of the service that you want to monitor. Better to give them fitting names so that you can create a dynamic query later while creating groups. E.g., add the prefix "MSX" or something for your Exchange services and likewise for other technologies.

3. Create a group (or groups, one per technology). You can choose explicit members in this case since the number of services is small. Just search for each service and add it in the group. If you wish to create a dynamic query, it would go something like ( Object is Object AND ( Display Name Contains MSX ) AND True) . This will create the group of services you want.

4. Now, try running the availability report against this group. Now here I say TRY, because I do not have Reporting installed in my lab so I couldn't test it. 

Please try this and let us know the result.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by GouravIN Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:59 PM
  • Thanks Sam it worked , really appreciate this kinda approach.
    Tried and got success but i need to create a group for service monitoring via using explicit member coz stuck with dynamic member query.

i have tried windows service ---> service name -- contains--- exchange ( service monitoring name and service name both are same ) but query is not working.

if you can suggest me here otherwise thanks a lot here!

Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:23 AM
  • Hey Gourav,

Glad to know that it works :)

For the dynamic query, please re-visit points 2 and 3 in my previous post, that's really all I can say about it.

Cheers

Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:44 AM