Data Source (ODBC) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). From the administrative tools, it display only one Data Source (ODBC) instead of displaying 32-bit and 64-bit Data Source (ODBC)

Anyway, I tried to use the only Data Source (ODBC) to connect Netbean which needed to link to MS Access but I couldn't configure the Microsoft Access Driver for adding a database inside. It shows :

The setup routines for the Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb) ODBC driver could not be found. Please reinstall the driver.

Errors Found:
    The specificed DSN contains an architecture mismatch the Driver and Application

P/S: This is the ODBC which open from "C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe"

Note that, when I open another ODBC from "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe"  I could add database to the Microsoft Access Driver. Even add more drivers ! 

1. What is the differences between odbcad32 from System32 and SysWOW64 ? 
    2. Why didn't my operating system shows 2 ODBC, 32-bit and 64-bit ?
    3. Are there any ways to display them in 32-bit and 64-bit ?
    4. Does it matter to use 32-bit ODBC in a 64-bit operating system?
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• In all editions of 64-bit Windows the System32 folder contains the 64-bit version of the files located there and they support the 64-bit programs.

The SysWOW64 folder contains the 32-bit versions of the files located there and they support the 32-bit programs.

So, if you have 32-bit Access installed you must use the obcdad32 located in the SysWOW64 folder, and if you have 64-bit Access installed you must use the obcdad32 located in the System32 folder.  You will only see one at a time correlating to either a 32-bit application or correlating to a 64-bit application.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hi,

If you use the 64-bit odbcad32.exe to configure or remove a DSN that connects to a 32-bit driver, you will receive this error message.

To resolve this error, use the 32-bit odbcad32.exe to configure or remove the DSN.

Please refer to:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms712362(v=vs.85).aspx

According to your description, I would like suggest to you post the question on SQL Server Data Access Forum for better support.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqldataaccess

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, September 23, 2013 1:04 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 9:26 AM