Sound has stopped working in Windows 7 "failed to play test tone" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem similar to the ones reported for many Vista users. I have tried all the same solutions including a system restore back to an earlier point, fixing the reg keys recommended in several reports, (although none were actually incorrect), tried disabling all enhancements on both devices. I know for certain it is not a hardware problem because I have a dual boot set up on my computer both running Windows 7. The one works fine, no problems. The other doesn't work. THe one difference is that the one that is still working was a clean install whereas the one that is not working was an upgrade from Vista, although it worked fine for quite a while.

I'm not sure what to do now.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows 7 related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows 7 forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, I would like to add that the upgrade version may cause a mixed driver, I would suggest uninstall\reinstall the sound card driver.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 3, 2010 9:13 AM