none
Project Server changes automatically planned work in actual work in timesheet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm new on the forum but I've read several discussions regarding my problem with Project Server: when I enter actual hours for a task and click on save, it changes automatically planned hours.

It is a serious problem for me because I want to keep track of hours worked in more than expected, for the purpose of the monitoring.

Is there a way to solve this problem? I read that it is a very common issue but i didn't understand if there is a way to fix it and make sure that the actual hours are different from those initially planned.

Thank you all for the help!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:16 PM

Answers

• salentina --

There is no way to fix what you perceive to be a problem, as what you are seeing is the default behavior of both Microsoft Project and the Timesheet page in PWA.  In the Project Server software, the key is to remember that actuals always replaces estimates.  For example, you originally planned for a team member to work 4 hours on Monday.  That is what the team member sees in the Planned row in his Timesheet.  However, the team member reports that he actually worked 6 hours on Monday.  So think about this:  How many hours of work are there now on Monday?  No, there are no longer 4 hours of work, even though that was the original planned amount.  Instead, there are now 6 hours of work, because actuals always replace estimates.

There is no way to work around this or to fix a problem that is not a problem.  If you are the PM of the project in question, then you MUST save a Baseline in your project before your team members begin entering and submitting progress to you.  When you save a Baseline, the software will capture the orignal amount of planned work on a daily basis.  You can see this information in the Baseline Work column and by adding the Baseline Work row to the timephased grid in either the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by salentina Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:36 AM

All replies

• salentina --

There is no way to fix what you perceive to be a problem, as what you are seeing is the default behavior of both Microsoft Project and the Timesheet page in PWA.  In the Project Server software, the key is to remember that actuals always replaces estimates.  For example, you originally planned for a team member to work 4 hours on Monday.  That is what the team member sees in the Planned row in his Timesheet.  However, the team member reports that he actually worked 6 hours on Monday.  So think about this:  How many hours of work are there now on Monday?  No, there are no longer 4 hours of work, even though that was the original planned amount.  Instead, there are now 6 hours of work, because actuals always replace estimates.

There is no way to work around this or to fix a problem that is not a problem.  If you are the PM of the project in question, then you MUST save a Baseline in your project before your team members begin entering and submitting progress to you.  When you save a Baseline, the software will capture the orignal amount of planned work on a daily basis.  You can see this information in the Baseline Work column and by adding the Baseline Work row to the timephased grid in either the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by salentina Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:36 AM
  • Thank you for the answer!

Now I can see the column of Baseline work in my project and actually it's what it takes to my purposes.

Thank you very much for the help.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:10 PM
  • salentina --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hello Dale,

Thank you for the answer.

Umesh

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:46 PM