none
How do I preserve the replica when I move data from one protected server to another protected server ? RRS feed

• Question

• We have been protecting a large folder off a server at a branch office via VPN connection.  This server is going to retire soon, we have copied all data over to a new server.  Obviously we do not want our DPM server here to copy the same data from the new server back to here over again, since we already have a replica of that data here (from old server) in the main office. 

I have installed DPM agent on the new server successfully, but I have not setup a protection plan on it, I need to find out how to I "reuse" the existing replica, the first replica took us over two months to finish, and I just can't let it do that again. 

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:37 PM

All replies

• You definitely don't need to pull all data over the WAN again.

Here is what we do:  Set up protection on the new server and choose to perform the initial replica creation "Manually."  Set the replica and recovery point volume sizes to the same that the old server used.  Then use robocopy to copy all replica data from the old server's replica volume to the new server's replica volume.  Once that is complete (and you have also copied the data from the old server to the new server, of course) run a consistency check on the new server.

You must be carefully copying data manually to replica volumes. Make sure you put the files in the right spot.  If you have never done this before you may need to examine some of the existing replica volumes closely to see how it works.  (Once you understand it isn't very difficult.)

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:49 AM