none
Stack overflow with large 3D arrays RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed a Visual Studio Professional 2013 acquired this week from Microsoft.  I am refreshing my programing Visual C++ skills after not being involve in programing for a number of years.  

It is running on a Del Precision M6500 with 4GB RAM, 1.73 GHz Processor and 297 GB disc space available.

I have written, debugged and successfully executed a program that defines a three dimensional integer array 20 x 125 x 100 or 250,000 cells and loaded the cells with integer value 1 and reported totals etc.

When I expand a dimension by 5 on any axis I get the following error.

“Unhandled exception at 0x00096EC7 in AlgorithmConsoleApp.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000000, 0x00372000).”

It looks like the stack limits the size of the array to around 250,000 cells.   I need to be able to use up to 50 million cells.  Other applications can work with much larger arrays.  How is this done?

Or is it my  programming problem?

The Mining Engineer

Thursday, September 3, 2015 9:55 PM

All replies

• The Mining Engineer --

You have erroneously posted your software development question in a public user forum dedicated to Project Online, which is an enterprise project management application.  I would recommend you repost your question in a user forum more relevant to your needs.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, September 4, 2015 12:21 AM