MDT 2013 Driver Import Failure RRS feed

• Question

• This has been happening on every version of MDT that ever existed.  Never found a solution. Newer versions of MDT have been failing more frequently. Now it fails every single time:

Scanning directories for the count of INFs to import.
    Performing operation "import" on Target "Out-of-box drivers".
    Creating new item named Realtek Semiconductor Corp. MEDIA HDAADC.inf 6.0.1.5985 (2) at DS002:\Out-of-Box Drivers\Windows 7 x86\Dell Inc.\Optiplex 7010.
    Creating new item named Realtek Semiconductor Corp. MEDIA HDAADCMA.inf 6.0.1.5985 at DS002:\Out-of-Box Drivers\Windows 7 x86\Dell Inc.\Optiplex 7010.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
       at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.Verifier.AddDriver(String theInfFile)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.ImportDriver.ImportDrivers(String thePath)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.ImportDriver.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.DriverProgress.WizardProcessing()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.WizardProgress.InitiateWizardProcessing()

Tried full cab driver packages, single drivers, this one was just a single Audio driver.

It appears MDT is no longer supporting drivers of any kind.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:49 PM

Answers

• It is possible that your MDT Drivers.xml and/or DriverGroup.xml file(s) are corrupted. Can you import these drivers into a *new* MDT deployment share to see if it works. Either the drivers will import successfully, and it's most likely your configuration files, or the drivers *themselves* are causing problems being imported into MDT. <yuck> If so please share a pointer to the specific driver package causing problems.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:08 AM

All replies

• It is possible that your MDT Drivers.xml and/or DriverGroup.xml file(s) are corrupted. Can you import these drivers into a *new* MDT deployment share to see if it works. Either the drivers will import successfully, and it's most likely your configuration files, or the drivers *themselves* are causing problems being imported into MDT. <yuck> If so please share a pointer to the specific driver package causing problems.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:08 AM
  • It doesn't seem likely being a driver problem. This has been happening for years with every version of MDT. It has been getting a lot worse lately. What driver package I use is irrelevant.

In the past it seemed to be tied to how many drivers I imported with one import.

In the past I always downloaded individual driver packages, extracted and sorted through them, pulling out the individual driver files I wanted and putting them into a directory tree with directories like "Audio, video, etc".  If I then tried to import that entire tree into MDT, it would always fail with the above error. However, if I would then try to import the individual directories like just "Audio", it would always work and I could always get all the drivers loaded, I just had to do it one by one.

However, importing individual drivers has been failing more and more often lately. For the past year, I've had to try to import a single driver three or four times before it would successfully import. Tried it a few days ago and I couldn't get some to import.

I suppose the driver store could be corrupted but I have dozens of PC models in there with thousands of drivers. I'd really hate to have to rebuild the entire deployment share, that's weeks of work.

I don't suppose there is some easy way to get it to rebuild the driver store?

Ran a new test. Created a new empty deployment share. Attempted to import a large driver tree extracted from an Optiplex 7010 driver cab. Import succeeded.

Tried to import the entire CAB files for the Optiplex 9020 and Latitude 6440. Both succeeded.

Went back to my old share and tried to import the entire 7010 tree as before, it failed.

So, either the store is messed up, or I've hit the limit on how many drivers can be imported into one share. As I said, I have thousands of drivers in there.

So, unless someone knows of an easy way to rebuild the driver store in a deployment share, I have weeks of work ahead of me to manually re-build the entire share...

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:23 PM
  • It is possible that your MDT Drivers.xml and/or DriverGroup.xml file(s) are corrupted. Can you import these drivers into a *new* MDT deployment share to see if it works.

Thanks, after this worked, I successfully dragged the drivers to the folder where I originally tried to import them, and the drivers installed successfully during a deployment.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:17 PM