Sharepoint Server restore successful, site is missing RRS feed

• Question

• AFter hours and hours of playing around I was finally able to restore my site to another server after I had created a blank site. The restore completed successfully. Here are the last few lines of the log file:

2012-01-18 22:00:40.54 spid52      Starting up database 'WSS_Content_AATCompanyweb'.
    2012-01-18 22:00:40.55 spid52      The database 'WSS_Content_AATCompanyweb' is marked RESTORING and is in a state that does not allow recovery to be run.
    2012-01-18 22:00:52.24 spid52      Starting up database 'WSS_Content_AATCompanyweb'.
    2012-01-18 22:00:53.58 Backup      Database was restored: Database: WSS_Content_AATCompanyweb, creation date(time): 2008/02/15(17:49:05), first LSN: 1322:206090:186, last LSN: 1322:206169:1, number of dump devices: 1, device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=DISK: {'e:\sharepoint BU\spbr0000\00000015.bak'}). Informational message. No user action required.
    2012-01-18 22:01:57.63 spid68      Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.
    2012-01-18 22:01:57.68 spid68      Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 1 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Well the blank site is still there, all blank. Where did my restore go?

restored it to the following location: pe18003/sites/AAT

There is nothing there. In fact I do not see any sign of a new site anywhere.

I can see the two files in the data directory (.mdf and .ldf)

OfficeSERVERS is running in SQL.

sites/AAT shows up in the site collection list

Any suggestions?

• Edited by a__T Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:53 AM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:03 AM NEVER ! in Title
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:33 AM

All replies

• -          In central administration – application management -> Content database – check if the database name is attached to web app

-          Using SQL management studio access the content database and check tables dbo.sites and dbo.webs for the site name

-          Check if you have the same language pack between those two environments

-          Check if you have custom solutions that need to be deployed

-          Check SharePoint logs(verbose mode)  when you access the site, you should have some exceptions or warnings  

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint| SharePoint Performance blog
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:03 PM
  • on my old server there is one content database attached: WSS_Content_companyweb with 1 site

on my new server there are two content databases:

WSS_Content with 3 sites

WSS_Content_companyweb with 0 sites

both of them are started.

when I change WSS_Content to stopped and reset IIS, I still get an empty site.

Should I have deleted WSS_Content before the restore?

I don't know where to look in dbo.sites and dob.webs for the name. Can you provide some further clarification?

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:42 PM
  • You can detach the old database by executing this command

stsadm.exe -o deletecontentdb  -url <URL name>  -databasename <database name>

[-databaseserver] <database server name>

After that you can restore your backup

Regarding db.sites and dbo.webs:

-          Connect to your sql server using management studio

-          Expand Wss_content database, expand Tables

-          Here you will have two tables dbo.sites and dbo.webs

-          Right click on both of them and click on select the first 1000 rows

-          Check if you have information regarding those 3 sites

Check also the SharePoint logs when you are accessing the site. Please let me know if you need information regarding ULS configuration

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Remove both databases that were linked to this url.

Did the restore.

Back to square one as only the main site makes it across, the subsites say "an unexpected error has occured."

I have:

pe18003/default.aspx, my main site

pe18003/subsite1/default.aspx is missing

same for subsites 2,3 and 4 as they are also missing.

How do I get these subsites across?

Could it be because they are based on the fab 40 templates?

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:49 AM
  • In an attempt to recreate the one of the sites I went ahead and deployed the salesleadpipeline.wsp application

Getting an error message:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN>stsadm -o adds
    olution -filename salesleadpipeline.wsp

Solution manifest for solution '4db7de29-ab35-4892-ac5e-afac1584a4d5' failed validation, f
    ile manifest.xml, line 1, character 63: The 'SharePointProductVersion' attribute is not de
    clared.
    salesleadpipeline.wsp: The Solution installation failed.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN>

Friday, January 20, 2012 1:15 AM
  • Soooo.....

I open up my main site in Sharepoint Designer and see that all my subsites are sitting there. I can open them up look at lists, everything is pretty much there.

Why are these sites not visible?

Friday, January 20, 2012 2:31 AM
  • Check the SharPoint logs(verbose mode) for errors and exceptions when you access the subsite. It should be something in there related to your issue.

Paste the results in here.

Thanks

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Can you try direct linking (via the URL) to one of the subsites.  Sounds like the config database isn't aware of the top level site path.
    Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Just typing the address of the subsites gives the same results.

Re-creating the links to the subsites for the navigation structure same thing.

From the log file:

when accessing knowledge base subsite (fab 40):

Cannot get ghost document: Features\KnowledgeBaseModules\default.aspx
    Unknown SPRequest error occurred. More information: 0x80070002

when accessing inventory tracking subsite (fab 40):

Cannot get ghost document: Features\InventoryTrackingModules\default.aspx

Unknown SPRequest error occurred. More information: 0x80070002

Friday, January 20, 2012 2:02 PM
  • I learned a little bit more.

"inventorytrackingmodules" is a folder in Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Share/web server extensions/12/template/features

On my old server there are 4 inventory related folders in there:

InventoryTrackingTransactionList

InventoryTrackingInventoryList

InventoryTrackingModules *

InventoryTrackingList Instances *

Those last two marked * were not in the same place on the new server.

Ok, so I copied them in place and it still gives the same error messages in the log.

Friday, January 20, 2012 2:39 PM
  • I have a vague feeling that Inventory Tracking is something that is only in the SBS (2003?) version of WSS 3.0.

This could be what is causing you problems if you have moved from the SBS version to the version running on Windows Server at some point in time. (Having companyweb in your db names seems to be another indication of that).

But then as far as I can remember you haven't mentioned SBS in the thread anywhere so presumably I'm wrong.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, January 20, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Allright, maybe I need to redeploy the inventory tracking template

stsadm -o addsolution -filename inventorytracking.wsp

"operation completed successfully"

stsadm -o deploysolution -name inventorytracking.wsp -local -allowgacdeployment

"operation completed successfully"

click on my subsite inventory and voila it is there! Yes!

Then I did the same for knowledgebase.wsp and it worked too!  Yes!

Same for bugdatabase.wsp! Yes!

Still working on salesleadpipeline.wsp, will be back later.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN>stsadm -o addsolution -filename salesleadpipeline.wsp

Solution manifest for solution '4db7de29-ab35-4892-ac5e-afac1584a4d5' failed validation, file manifest.xml, line 1, character 63: The 'Share
    PointProductVersion' attribute is not declared.
    salesleadpipeline.wsp: The Solution installation failed.

• Edited by a__T Friday, January 20, 2012 3:34 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Ok, the salesleadpipeline file was bad.

Unzipped it from a file I had download in 2007 and then it worked.

So summary of the problem.

Sharepoint Server 2007 with 4 fabulous templates as subsites

Backup and restored to Sharepoint Server 2007 on different hardware

The subsites based the the fabulous 40 templates appeared to be missing

Sharepoint attempted to look for files that are did not come accross on the backup and restore.

Redeployed the server admin templates and then things started working.

Thanks to the individuals who helped me come to some conclusions!

Microsoft? WTF!

Hours and hours wasted, just to get it to a different server.

My data is still stranded on the Sharepoint Server 2007 platform.

Friday, January 20, 2012 4:33 PM
  • You are right, some of this functionality originated on an SBS2003 PE platform.

It was moved over to a member server to get the feature benefits of Sharepoint Server 2007.

Inventory tracking was one of the fabulous 40 templates.

I can confirm it works on Sharepoint Server 2007.

My data is still stuck on Sharepoint Server 2007 as Microsoft has abandoned upward compatibility. I wonder when the next Sharepoint version comes around if they will say "sorry Sharepoint 2010 users, we have something new again"

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:07 PM