none
IE 8 error - unable to download file name from domain the file could not be written to cache RRS feed

• Question

• We are getting this error when opening PDFs in IE 8:

unable to download file name from domain the file could not be written to cache

Any other document is OK, Word, Excel etc. We are using Adobe Acrobat and the plugin opens the PDF in the browser. Any help would be appreciated!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:36 AM

Answers

• Basically intranet links to PDFS open OK from PDFS that are delivered via the unrestricted data folder (Public Access_ - HTTP.

But when they are delivered via the WebCMS database, they don't open.  They do open in other browsers like Chrome & Firefox, but not IE 8 or 9.

Sounds like you are talking about two different security zones, which wouldn't affect those other browsers.

If your WebCMS support resorts to fingerpointing you could try running ProcMon to figure out what is going on, supplementing what you are looking at by consulting this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250462(VS.85).aspx

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Ha ha I think Robert hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what they the WebCMS team have been doing "fingerpointing"! Insisting we are to blame. However they have sheepishly emailed me this morning to let me know they think they have a solution to the problem and the problem was theirs to begin with! Thanks for the responses.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:12 AM

All replies

• Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, uncheck "Do not save encrypted files to disk"

Rob^_^

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Yeah that's the first thing I tried. I think it's a bit more complex than that unfortunately. It relates to WebCMS documents. Basically intranet links to PDFS open OK from PDFS that are delivered via the unrestricted data folder (Public Access_ - HTTP. But when they are delivered via the WebCMS database, they don't open.  They do open in other browsers like Chrome & Firefox, but not IE 8 or 9.
    • Edited by jaimie072 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:16 AM not working
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

try your webCMS support site. this forum is for System Administrators.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Basically intranet links to PDFS open OK from PDFS that are delivered via the unrestricted data folder (Public Access_ - HTTP.

But when they are delivered via the WebCMS database, they don't open.  They do open in other browsers like Chrome & Firefox, but not IE 8 or 9.

Sounds like you are talking about two different security zones, which wouldn't affect those other browsers.

If your WebCMS support resorts to fingerpointing you could try running ProcMon to figure out what is going on, supplementing what you are looking at by consulting this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250462(VS.85).aspx

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Ha ha I think Robert hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what they the WebCMS team have been doing "fingerpointing"! Insisting we are to blame. However they have sheepishly emailed me this morning to let me know they think they have a solution to the problem and the problem was theirs to begin with! Thanks for the responses.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:12 AM