Test and prod environment on the same farm - MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

a my customer has a limited budget and he cannot buy another MOSS 2007 license.

He has the license for the unique farm hosts in him servers. On this farm I've deployed a site with custom pages saved on the File System of the web server. My customer wants the same for test purposes, independent and separated from the prod site.

I think to change inside IIS environment the local path of the virtual directory _layouts, but I'm afraid is an unsafe solution.

Any suggests to me, in order to solve this issue? Thanks

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>do you backup the entire 12 folder or the subfolder 12\Template\Layouts?

Better take back up of 12 folder for safety purpose but you will more need to work on layout folder if it is about application pages/webparts.

>but it could be necessary an iisreset, the simple stop and start site seems not be enough.

You may not need restart IIS in all the cases (Timer job, features etc will require restart IIS). you can restart particular web application in application page/webparts/sandbox solutions etc..

Hope it could help

"Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>I think to change inside IIS environment the local path of the virtual directory _layouts, but I'm afraid is an unsafe solution.

First it is very difficult to maintain a server for both purpose but if you have more work in _layout folder then i would suggest:

1. Create a backup of your layout folder first in 12 hive (let say layout2)

2. Create new web application and go to IIS then right click on web site and change the virtual folder from default layout to layout2

3. Now you can create you site collection and use that backup folder for test purpose.

Now you original prod site can take ref of actual layout folder and you can refer backup folder for test purpose. No harm i have done this many times for my environment.

Hope it could help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Friday, October 19, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Hi Hemendra,

do you backup the entire 12 folder or the subfolder 12\Template\Layouts?

Thanks

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Ok, it seems this solution functions rightly, but it could be necessary an iisreset, the simple stop and start site seems not be enough.

Thanks

Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

>do you backup the entire 12 folder or the subfolder 12\Template\Layouts?

Better take back up of 12 folder for safety purpose but you will more need to work on layout folder if it is about application pages/webparts.

>but it could be necessary an iisreset, the simple stop and start site seems not be enough.

You may not need restart IIS in all the cases (Timer job, features etc will require restart IIS). you can restart particular web application in application page/webparts/sandbox solutions etc..

Hope it could help

"Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:23 AM
  • Hi Hemendra,

could it occur to map an entire copy for the 12 folder to _layouts virtual directory?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

Nope, You could be able to map only virtual directory folder with your new web application. Go to IIS and set all the virtual folder. Layout is the common folder which need to remap otherwise you will not have any other folder to map with it.

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

Have you resolved you problem? If yes then please provide your solution so other can take benefit of that and if above post help you to resolve your problem then mark it as answer.

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Friday, November 16, 2012 10:18 AM