Will moving an Exchange database cause users to have to restart Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am running Exchange Server 2007. I will be using the "Move Database Path" command through the Management Console to move the database from one partition to another. The users are mostly running Outlook 2007, but some users are running Outlook 2010.

My question is, will users have to restart their Outlook clients after the database is moved?

Thanks.

Monday, June 9, 2014 7:35 PM

Answers

• If you are dismounting the database, then moving the files, then re-mounting the database, no, not directly.  However, the database will be out of service for some period of time and that is going to cause errors for your Outlook clients.  And, as a result of those errors, they might have to close and restart.

Jim McBee - MVP, MCT, MCSE Using Exchange since the v4.0 beta in 1995 - Blog http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Zaza Abramov Monday, June 9, 2014 8:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Casey_T Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:29 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 8:18 PM

All replies

• If you are dismounting the database, then moving the files, then re-mounting the database, no, not directly.  However, the database will be out of service for some period of time and that is going to cause errors for your Outlook clients.  And, as a result of those errors, they might have to close and restart.

Jim McBee - MVP, MCT, MCSE Using Exchange since the v4.0 beta in 1995 - Blog http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Zaza Abramov Monday, June 9, 2014 8:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Casey_T Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:29 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Hello!
    In my opinion, it's better to create a new Mailbox Database and then move mailboxes in it. After moving you will be able to remove the old database. After moving you will get defragmented mailbox database, and just few users will disconnect per certain time

Monday, June 9, 2014 8:46 PM
  • Though a defragmented database is appealing, I believe I will just stick with moving the database itself since it is relatively small. From Jim's answer, it sounds like after the database move that Outlook clients will automatically re-connect without having to be closed and re-opened.

Thanks for the help!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Though a defragmented database is appealing, I believe I will just stick with moving the database itself since it is relatively small. From Jim's answer, it sounds like after the database move that Outlook clients will automatically re-connect without having to be closed and re-opened.

Thanks for the help!

OK, it's up to you, but pay attention - during database moving, all users will be disconnected for a long time, depends on Database size. When you move one or more mailboxes disconnecting occurs only during switching to another mailbox database and for a few seconds.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Thanks Zaza. Understood.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:33 PM