none
Problem with Saving Word Document In Wrong Folder or Library RRS feed

• Question

• Our users are reporting problems with opening or creating documents in SharePoint libraries and folders, and then saving the files, and instead of saving the documents in the library folders that they are currently in, the user finds themselves in the folder that they were in when they last saved a file, perhaps one or two files ago. 

This issue happens randomly and can be difficult to catch, since these workers are making changes quite speedily to documents.  The file change location can also be hard to spot as you are processing documents.

Tracking back to what is happening, I can see that the issue relates to process where Office stores recently opened documents.  It looks like when the clerk is moving fast enough that the file location is not stored in the cache.  These clerks have the newest machines with very fast SSD drives.

I'm not sure what we can do to solve this problem.  The users are trying to solve this problem by selecting Save As and then noting if there are not in the correct location, but this is not the most desirable means to address the issue.

From my research, this problem also seems to have come up as an issue (in some form) over the last decade, so I'm not sure it's an office problem.  Maybe it's a windows problem.

We are using Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus, Version 1907(Build 16.0.11901.20070) 32 bit with on premise SharePoint 2013 when this problem happens.

Teresa Ives

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:46 PM

All replies

• Those files the users edit are they locally downloaded or are they in online mode ? 

S_K_P

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:55 PM
  • They are being downloaded from an on-premise SharePoint farm, 2013.

Teresa Ives

Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:40 PM
  • Sorry I meant to ask , are the files located in network location or user's local Hard Disk ? 

S_K_P

Friday, August 23, 2019 12:43 AM
  • Hi Teresa,

From your description, when you save a document in a library, it is saved in wrong folders/library.

Does the issue exists in other libraries of different site?

Does the issue exists in other libraries of different web application?

Check whether the issue exits in other office client, such as office 2013.

Check whether you have created content organizer rule to route documents to other library. 

Check whether you have created workflow which move the documents to other location. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, August 23, 2019 9:26 AM