Vista Outlook 2003 Problem RRS feed

• Question

• HI all:

I just did the upgrade from XP to Vista and so far so good, except for an issue with Outlook 2003. Now I'm currently not running Norton, which I had to uninstall in order to do the upgrade, so I believe this is an MS Defender issue. I'm unable to upload/download emails with attachments. My ISP is running Norton, could that be an issue. Like I said, I'm not running any antivirsus except Defender. My account information is correct. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 3:59 PM

All replies

• Warning:  Windows Defender is not antivirus.  It is only malware/spyware protection.  So you have no antivirus protection right now.  If I were you I would not try to download email yet.  Not until you've got some antivirus installed.

Also note that Norton/Symantec is terrible.  It does not truly uninstall itself.  I'm sure you've got all kinds of left-over registry entries pointing to Norton/Symantec...perhaps one of them is to blame.  I ditched Norton/Symantec years ago, and everytime I hear of someone saying they've uninstalled Norton, I have to chuckle.  Norton/Symantec actually posts some knowledgebase articles about how you have to manually uninstall all kinds of stuff in order to truly remove it from your PC.  But the article further states that even after following these steps, there will still be artifacts remaining.  If it was me, I'd do a clean install of Vista, to extricate Norton/Symantec from my box.

The fact that your ISP uses Norton is not related.

I don't think Windows Defender would be to blame either...you're using MS Outlook, and I think Defender knows what that is, and wouldn't interfere.  You can check the Defender settings, but I doubt that is to blame.   

I would recommend that you check your account settings.  Perhaps the server settings are not right.  Did you try the Outlook "test account settings" button?  Or perhaps the uninstall of Norton/Symantec left some hooks to things that are messing up your email.  It wouldn't suprise me.

Friday, February 2, 2007 11:49 AM
  • After examining this more closely I've determined that this is not a Symantec/ Norton issue. My email accounts have not changed since I performed the upgrade. Vista has issues with POP3. Why does outlook time out when I connect to a POP3 server in handling emails with attachments? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Friday, February 2, 2007 11:43 PM
  • Vista does POP3 just fine.  My Outlook 2007 routinely checks five POP3 accounts every 3 minutes and does just fine. 

But I don't remember if there are any issues with Outlook 2003 on Vista.  I think I recall seeing some possible issues with Office 2003 on the beta versions of Vista.  I'm guessing those were resolved before RTM, but I don't know for sure.

Friday, February 2, 2007 11:53 PM
  • So I've just spent a total of 4 hours discussing this issue with MS tech support. The guy I spoke to basically agrees that outlook is not working with pop3 under Vista. What is really interesting is the fact that windows mail, outlook express, works just fine with pop3. I was able to download emails with attachments from my ISP, without any trouble, using Outlook Express. Interesting!

Engineer

Sunday, February 4, 2007 3:09 AM
  •  

OK, found this elsewhere and it worked for me:

Go to programs, accessories then right click command line and select run as administrator.

At the prompt type

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

and this has fixed my Firefox problem and the POP3 through outlook and Vista.

(and my remote desktop issues as well - GermlinBox)

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 3:26 PM
  • Hey GremlinBox..Bingo!

Tried the solution and everything appears to work now. By the way the syntax provided is incorrect, it should read: Set global autoturninglevel=disable

Thanks for all the help. Let's spread the Good Word

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Hi!

First posting on here.

Am using 32bit Vista Home Premium, upgraded from XP. Problem is with Office 2003.

Vista will not let me run Outlook 2003, keeps telling me that the path is not valid! Something to do with .pst?

Have tried reinstalling Office and repairing but still the same....just affects Outlook though not the rest of the program.

Having to use Windows Mail, not as good, bereft of all useful features that intergrate in Outlook.

Any ideas?

Monday, April 23, 2007 11:00 AM
  • First thoughts...

In Windows XP MS Outlook put your PST file under something like c:\Documents and Settings\Username\blah\blah

In Windows Vista, your profile path is now under C:\Users\Username\...

If you did an in-place upgrade to Vista, my guess is that Outlook is now looking for your PST (Outlook Personal Storage Data File -- the file that holds all your Outlook emails, contacts, appointments, etc.) in C:\Users\Username\blah\blah but your pst file is still located at c:\Documents and Settings\Username\blah\blah.

You might try doing a search in your (probably still existing) C:\Documents and Settings\Username directory for your PST file.

Then copy it to the new location (or better yet, make your own folder for it -- so you know where it is next time something happens) inside your C:\Users\Username directory (or wherever you want to place it).

Then Open Outlook and point adjust your settings to use your newly relocated PST file.

Then make the newly relocated file your Primary PST file.

Close and reopen Outlook (to implement that primary storage location change) and then delete the PST file that was created when you first opened Outlook.

There are probably other ways to accomplish this, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

You might also go into Outlook, broswe to the old PST location, open the old PST file, and then drag all your items into the new Outlook PST file (all from within Outlook).  (Just dragging items from one mailbox, calendar, contacts, etc. to your existing one.

Monday, April 23, 2007 2:27 PM
  •  

Hi all,

Just started searching for help with my Vista/Outlook problem and came across this thread.  I'm now wondering if something in one of the previous posts may be relevant or if some wise sould reading this post could help.

I'm the sort of technically naive bloke who thinks that buying new products from reputable manufacturers si some sort of guarantee of performance.  So I have a new Sony Vaio running Vista and I bought the 2007 version of MS Outlook.  Outlook loaded without any apparent problem and I copied all the server etc. settings over from my old desktop.  I am pretty sure the settings must be OK because I can send messages but I can't receive them for love or money.  As an example, I sent an email from Hotmail (using the old desktop) to my Outlook account: it was a test mail with nothing other than the word 'test' in the subject box.  Outlook took about 15 minutes trying to downlaod it and gave up.

Incidentally, and I am sure this is not connected, but Vista will not access some website such as Hotmail which is really pissing me off.

Any comments, thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

TIA,

John

Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:23 PM
  • John; 

Buying from reputable manufacturers usually works....Microsoft is an exception of course..

That being said, what worked for my daughter's brand new HP laptop running Vista was disabling Norton Anti Virus. After scouring the Microsoft Web site, Forums, ISP support, HP Support  (new laptop with Vista), and wasting countless hours, the only thing that worked was removing Norton Antivirus.....

I personally now own an Apply Mac Notebook.... I switched recently after >10yrs in corporate Windows environments....its nirvana compared to anything Microsoft.....In a nutshell everything just "works" as advertised. Of course the only thing I ever had any problems with on my Apple Mac is a Microsoft Product for the Mac :-) ......

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:53 PM
  • I have had problems getting Outlook 2003 to worth with Vista.  My ISP in AT&T adn we got it working once but not in a secure SSL configuration and I have tweaked it and can no longer send or receive.  I am going to get with AT&T one more time and try to get it functional but not happy with the solution.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Bernie and GremlinBox you guys rock thanks for the Vista Outlook fix I was going nuts because gmail was not working with Outlook. Did the : Set global autoturninglevel=disable works like a champ Smile just wanted to give a little THANKS!!!

Sunday, September 7, 2008 3:16 PM