In need of help fixing gpsvc service RRS feed

• Question

• So one day the audio fails, Get a little speech bubble on boot saying gpsvc cannot connect on boot. Looked online, tried some advice:

Cmd> sfc/scannow

At 29% Windows Resource protection could not complete the requested scan.

Trying to start the services:
    gpsvc
    <Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 2 >

Windows Audio service
    Error 1068: The dependancy failed to start

Windows audio endpoint builder
    Error 1722: The RPC Server is unavailable

Following this advice:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/why-wont-windows-connect-to-the-group-policy/b73107f8-8447-4599-87a5-65ecc6a63aa0

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion looking as registries there is no find-able SVCHOST

Following this advice given on these forums:

- press win+r  
    - type regedit, hit enter
    - go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\gpsvc
    - delete whole gpsvc folder
    - download, run and hit yes: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/gpsvc.reg

- reboot your system

Two popups appear while following.

------------------
    Error Deleting Key
    Cannot delete gpsvc. Error while deleting key.
    ------------------

And opening the gpsvc.reg file in the download provided.

gpsvc>Merge>Run>Ye

--------------------
    Registry Editor
    Cannot import [file path]. Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.
    ----------------------

This is the main living room PC having this issue and well, sound is kinda important when it's duty is to act as an entertainment center.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I understand that Windows cannot connect to Group Policy Client on startup.
    If I misunderstand your concern, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Why delete gpsvc folder in registry and import new key? Please use system restore point to roll back to previous points. Also, strongly recommend please export registry as a backup before modify the key.

For your question and description in link as you provided, we shoud check the key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, then switch to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SVCHOST then create some relevant key for it.

For your reference: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/windows-8-group-policy-client-service-failed-sign/7ce8e193-6651-4f8f-b2c3-28de3d389b1a

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 9, 2015 10:27 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:03 AM

All replies

• i suggest perform system restore, if you have AVG maybe those service stored at quarantine files (try to restore it)

if both suggestion doesn't work, try in place upgrade

• Edited by britishdhez Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:23 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I understand that Windows cannot connect to Group Policy Client on startup.
    If I misunderstand your concern, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Why delete gpsvc folder in registry and import new key? Please use system restore point to roll back to previous points. Also, strongly recommend please export registry as a backup before modify the key.

For your question and description in link as you provided, we shoud check the key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, then switch to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SVCHOST then create some relevant key for it.

For your reference: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/windows-8-group-policy-client-service-failed-sign/7ce8e193-6651-4f8f-b2c3-28de3d389b1a

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 9, 2015 10:27 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:03 AM